What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi Everyone,
Michelle and I took a walk through the greenhouse on Christmas Eve. Thought we’d share some photos. Most of our plants are lowland growing and it’s so wonderful during the coldest part of the year to be able to cultivate these fantastic plants. Enjoy!
Nep%20bench%20bical%20world%2012-24-04.JPG

This is a partial view of our N. bicalcarata section. Our bical #38 (nicknamed ‘Big Mama’ – it’s a female) is vining up the western wall in the back left corner of the photo. She is too big to fit in the frame! We find that our bicals do best in pure sphagnum, in enormously oversized pots.

Nep%20Bench-%20baby%20amp%20world%2012-24-04.JPG

Here’s a pic of our small green and speckled ampullarias. Note the temp and humidity on the thermometer in the background (85 degrees F, 90 percent humidity – not bad for Christmas Eve). The new leaves are significantly larger since repotting into oversized pots. These baby amps are growing side by side with Paphiopedilum orchids (P. phillipinensis var. roebbelenii and others).
Nep%20Bench%20-veitch,%20trunc%20world%2012-24-04.JPG

This is a partial view of the N. veitchii world and relatives. From left to right: The red pitcher is N. truncata x alata, N. truncata x veitchii, the pitcher still forming is a N. truncata, the small green one next to it is another N. trnucata x alata, and our lowland N. veitchii is sitting on both sides of another N. truncata, and the pitcher on the lower right is a seedling of N. veitchii.
N.%20raff%20elongata%20big%2012-24-04.JPG

Here’s a pic of a N. rafflesiana elongata from Brunei. We’ll have more raff photos to post later.
Nep%20View%20south%20aisle%2012-24-04.JPG

This is a view of the right side of the southern aisle. There are a lot of selected cultivars here, too many to name them all in this post.
Nep%20bench%20Viking%20world%2012-24-04.JPG

Here are our cuttings of N. Viking, fresh from Thailand and getting established. There are eleven different plants. So far, the leaves look very much like N. mirabilis. They have a large rhizome, and are fast and easy growing in our sunny lowland conditions. The orange pitcher on the right is a natural hybrid from Mindanao (truncata x alata?), on the big vine these traps reach over a foot long.
Nep%20bench%20view%20of%20eustach%20and%20raffveitch%2012-24-04.JPG

This photo is a continuation of the N. veitchii world. The large pitcher in the center is our N. rafflesiana x veitchii dark seedling. The purple/red traps all around it are N. eustachya (red x purple) babies. Not really in focus, in the background in the upper right corner with the gold peristome with red stripes is a N. truncata x veitchii.

More pics available if you all are interested.

Seasons Greetings from Michelle and Trent

Hi Trent & Michelle
Lovely photos of some amazing plants if there is anymore i would love to see them.
Bye for now julian

I'm diggin the bical, rafflesiana, vetichii, and the truncata.

I can't wait until my truncata gets that large, and my bical, and my rafflesiana (gigantea), and i get a veitchii and it gets that large.

You're making me drool.

I was a little hesitant to post under NepenthesMaster with all that drool dropping onto me
smile_r_32.gif
but I just have to say: Trent *awesome* plants!

Thanks for sharing.

Wow Trent, I really must visit you sometime when I next come to Florida! I shall make a determined attempt to get a visit in!

Hey FINALLY some photos from Mr. hybrid!
smile_n_32.gif

Great stuff man!

How cold does it actually get at your coldest?

Hi Everybody,
Glad you liked the photos. We’ll take more in the morning and post them sometime tomorrow.
Dustin, anytime you’re down this way, just PM or give us a call.

Josh, if it wasn’t for Michelle, I never would have gotten these pictures up. She snapped most of these shots and figured out how to post them here. As for our coldest temps; the outdoor low temps in the past have been as low as 36 degrees F. Inside the greenhouse, the temp was 51 degrees F. Typically, when a cold front moves through, we start up the propane heater and the lowest we allow is 54 degrees F. This does not happen everyday. Most of the time, the lows are naturally at about 60-65 degrees F, and needless to say, no heater is needed. The day temps are always above 80, but frequently as high as 90 degrees F mid afternoon. Humidity levels never drop below 75 percent RH, even during the hottest part of the day. At night, the humidity levels pin the gage in the greenhouse, 95 percent or more, the walls drip.

More on the way tomorrow.

wowo those are some choice plants there....

Are those vietchii the lowland forms? I'd really like to get one of those. is this your personal collection ?

Great pics Trent. I can attest to the humidty in your greenhouse. My glasses are still fogged up.
The plants we bought are doing fine.
Merry Christmast to you and Michelle.

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the compliments!  Jan, our camera gets fogged too.  Glad your plants are doing well – say hello to Brett.  
Here are some more pictures from our greenhouse as promised.  It’s getting too overcast and cloudy to shoot any additional photos today, plus we have family (non plant related) things to do.  Hope you enjoy!
N.%20merrilliana%20two%20traps%2012-25-04.JPG

N.%20merrilliana%20no.%201-%2011-23-04.JPG

Ah yes, N. merrilliana.  Sometimes tricky, but worth the effort. This particular plant is the old Agristarts clone (discontinued for a while now), and some of these are getting up to size.  Our big plant is producing a ground shoot and here are some pics of the new traps.  This clone is very colorful, with its pink pitchers and red spots inside.
N.%20raff%20and%20amp%20bench%2012-25-04.JPG

The N. rafflesiana and ampullaria jungle!  
N.%20raffs%2012-25-04.JPG

Here are two very different looking N. rafflesiana growing side by side in the raff jungle.  
N.%20raff%20dark%20with%20pretty%20leaves%2012-25-04.JPG

Though still a young plant, this is one of our favorite N. rafflesiana.  The leaves are beautiful.  It’s hard to see in this pic, but the stem is purple and the leaves age with a purple flush.  As you can see, the pitchers have heavy dark spotting, even on the lid.  
N.%20truncata%20seedling%20no1%20dark%20full%20pitcher%2011-27-04.JPG

N.%20truncata%20seedling%20group%2012-25-04.JPG

Now here are seed raised, greenhouse bred N. truncatas.  These are still young plants.  The solo plant is showing a lovely dark flush on the pitcher, and the peristome deepens to a chocolate color.  Pretty colorful for the lowland form.  The grouping of the N. truncatas are all siblings of the same grex and show the same dark color traits.  This is not because of the cool night temps, they did this all summer (with our night low of 78 degrees F).  Geoff Mansell bred these awesome dark lowland truncatas years ago.  We inquired about the parents recently, and he has not remade this cross (red peristome x striped peristome) since then.  It shows what can be done breeding superior forms of species.  

We like hybrids.  Here are some cool looking N. ventricosa hybrids.  
N.%20ventricosa%20x%20sibuyanensis%2012-25-04.JPG

This is N. ventricosa x sibuyanensis.  For us, it looks like a warm tolerant sibuyanensis.  Made through the summer heat with constant new growth and pitchers.  Notice we are growing this plant is a clay pot.  No question that clay pots keep the roots cooler. Can’t wait until this baby grows up.      
N.%20ventricosa%20x%20maxima%2012-25-04.JPG

This is N. ventricosa x maxima (same cross – but different plant – as N. ‘Red Leopard’).  Again a hybrid with two highland species.  Our summer heat doesn’t phase it.  
N.%20ventricosa%20x%20ampullaria%2012-25-04.JPG

One of our favorites, here’s the N. ventricosa x ampullaria doing a “carpet” of pitchers.  
N.%20truncata%20x%20ventricosa%20ground%20shoot%20pitcher12-4-5.JPG

N.%20truncata%20x%20ventricosa%20six%20traps%2011-1-04.JPG

The first shot is a ground shoot trap on our N. truncata x ventricosa.  The six traps are coming off the main vine of the same plant.  This is one tough plant!  We’d like to cross this to a N. lowii one day.  
N.%20rokko%20x%20ventricosa%208-21-04.JPG

Here’s a nice seedling of N. rokko x ventricosa.  (rokko = thorelii x maxima).  As it ages, the red turns almost dark purple with ox blood.  Although it has N. maxima in its background, it’s quite different from ventricosa x maxima.
If you all are hungry for more, we’ll be putting more photos up here soon.  
Later,
Trent and Michelle

I agree those N. ventricosa x ampullaria are fabulous!
Thanks Trent.

More more more!
smile_n_32.gif

Hi Everyone,
You asked for more… you got it!
N.%20ampullaria%20lots%20of%20traps%2012-25-04.JPG
N.%20ampullaria%20ground%20shoots%2012-25-04.JPG

N.%20ampullaria%20big%20one%20spotted%2012-25-04.JPG

N.%20ampullaria%20spotted%2012-25-04.JPG

Amps, amps, amps. We love our N. ampullarias.

N.%20mastersiana%20ground%20shoot%2012-25-04.JPG
N.%20mastersiana%20upper%20traps%208-18-04.JPG

A classic Victorian hybrid N. mastersiana.  The first photo is the ground shoot.  The second pic is of the old vine, which has since been made into cuttings.

Nep%20bench%20north%20wall%20baby%2012-25-04.JPG

North wall of the greenhouse.  All the little babies and a few cuttings.  Michelle has them all in neat little rows (with all of the labels facing the same direction) – heaven forbid I should move one the wrong way!

See ya,
Trent and Michelle

HI t&m
What can i say another amazing collection of photos.I do like the Mastersiana what a plant ,have you ever grown Dyeriana?
Bye for now julian
smile_m_32.gif

Julian,
Thanks for the compliments. No, we don't have a N. Dyeriana. It would grow like a weed in our greenhouse and hope to obtain it sometime soon.
Later,
T & M

Great pics Guys! Whats your secret with merrilliana?!?

Robin

Robin,
The N. merrilliana like it hot and muggy. They don't like being disturbed, and can take a year to get established from repotting (even in ideal conditions). The mix should not be soggy (biggest mistake is too much water), they would rather be humid and dryer at the roots. For pitcher production, humidity is the secret. The tendril will just turn black and dry up without constant high humidity. Once established, they enjoy fertilizer and bright light. When you do water at the roots, flush copious amounts of pure water through the pot to wash the mix. It's a lowland, picky, delicate species. It's worth all the effort because the traps are so attractive. Good luck, hope this helps. Easier said than done.
T & M

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Trent @ Dec. 27 2004,8:29)]Robin,
The N. merrilliana like it hot and muggy. They don't like being disturbed, and can take a year to get established from repotting (even in ideal conditions). The mix should not be soggy (biggest mistake is too much water), they would rather be humid and dryer at the roots. For pitcher production, humidity is the secret. The tendril will just turn black and dry up without constant high humidity. Once established, they enjoy fertilizer and bright light. When you do water at the roots, flush copious amounts of pure water through the pot to wash the mix. It's a lowland, picky, delicate species. It's worth all the effort because the traps are so attractive. Good luck, hope this helps. Easier said than done.
T & M
wow trent you're planst are stunning

I love that merriliana! its probly one of my favorite nepenthes.
I have a fiarly large one (not for the species but compared to my other planst) and you're right I've had it a few months and its now just starting to pitcher. Are there different color forms of merril? mine is pink with a bright green peristome, yours is amazingly colored. Not saying I don't like my pink one though
smilie4.gif

so when are these going to be on the website? wink wink?

Back