What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My favorite nep - picture

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
Nepenthes hamata is my favorite nep there is. The beginning of July I decided to spend the money to add this plant to my very small nep collection.
The plant had 5 or 6 nice pitchers when I got the plant. Since I grow this plant as a windowsill plant, in a matter of days the pitchers all dried out do to the humidity difference. N. hamata without any pitchers was a horrible site for the time it was like this. Since then the plant has adjusted very well and has been pitchering well for me. I have noticed that the forming pitchers have slowed down in growth rate, I guess from the shortened daylight, but still inflating slowy compaired to the fall.
Here is a picture of the plant and the latest pitcher it has made for me. (2 or 3 days old)

133Nhamataplant.jpg

133nhamatateeth.jpg

I got it from Tony Paroubek. Thanks Tony.

I was wondering how it was looking now that it's healthy again... very nice.

Very very nice for a windowsill grown plant! Superb! Keep up the great job!

Thanks for the comments.

endparenthesis,
do you visit TFF anymore? I have not seen any posts from you in a long time. I did update our thread there with the pictures as well.

hamata as a windowsill? That's interesting. What's the temp & humidity?

Great looking plant, btw.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Dec. 30 2004,7:43)]endparenthesis,
do you visit TFF anymore? I have not seen any posts from you in a long time. I did update our thread there with the pictures as well.
No, not really. I read in the planted aquarium section every once in a while. For the most part I realized I wasn't getting any hard to find information from it anymore, if I ever did, so I kind of lost interest.

I'm assuming this hamata growth is possible thanks to the humidifier on your heater. I have no humidifier, so my windowsill HL truncata (also Tony's) is in a makeshift terrarium for a while.
smile.gif

Look so nice, it proves that windowsill plants that have adapted look as nice as any terrarium grown plant anyday.

Im going to get a hamata and grow it on the windowsill, if you can do it, so can I.
You have inspired me with your lovely plant.
smile.gif

Awesome plant Elgecko! Keep us updated.
smile.gif

Starman, please don’t revive that old argument. >_<
Just because you have the last word doesn't mean you're right.

It proves that I'm not the only crazy one!
smile_n_32.gif

Very nice pitchers mine is sending out its third

Thanks for the comments, again. I'm very happy with the way the plant has been growing.

elarwhis,
The humidity fluctuates. So far reading have been around these:

Winter humidity: 30 - 50% (lower humidity in the day. Furnace does not run much, sun shines in the room where I grow the plants. I have a humidifier on my furnace set to around 48%)

Winter / Fall temps: I keep the house cool. Heat set to around 65 degrees. (humidified air feels warmer then dry air) During the day it can hit mid 70's with the sun shinning in the room where I grow the hamata. Nights drop to around 64 degrees.

Spring / Summer / Fall humidity: 40 - high 80%. (Windows open and such)

Spring / Summer temps: I would say low 70's to mid 80's. (I usually have the A/C set around 73)

Starman,
I'm not sure I would not try growing a hamata without a humidifier on the furnace. My humidity was 15 - 24% without a humidifer during the winter. I have a nep that showed humidity stress last year before I installed the humidifer, which is tougher then a hamata.
I'm not sure that the plant is as nice as a terrarium / greenhouse hamata. I think the pitchers narrow a little at the top compaired to others I have seen.

Phyrex,
I will definitely keep updates posted. These were a new size in the "teeth", much larger then previous pitchers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Phyrex @ Dec. 31 2004,9:59)]Awesome plant Elgecko! Keep us updated.
smile.gif

Starman, please don’t revive that old argument. >_<
Just because you have the last word doesn't mean you're right.
Theres your proof in that picture.
Oh,a nd Ive got a lot more proof int he original thread.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Dec. 31 2004,11:41)]Starman,
I'm not sure I would not try growing a hamata without a humidifier on the furnace. My humidity was 15 - 24% without a humidifer during the winter. I have a nep that showed humidity stress last year before I installed the humidifer, which is tougher then a hamata.
I'm not sure that the plant is as nice as a terrarium / greenhouse hamata. I think the pitchers narrow a little at the top compaired to others I have seen.
Rubbish, it looks just as good, one of the most colourful and pretty hamatas that I have ever seen.
Sure, those greenhouse specimens may be bigger, but they arnt usually that colourful.

Starman, one plant is not proof.
Windowsill environments differ a LOT from each other and most of them (especially the ones which have heating under them so the humidity is extremely low) aren’t suitable. So you can’t just say all plants grow well on windowsills just because you have seen a few that do.

Are you trying to sell windowsills or something?  
smile_l_32.gif

Wow that's amazing! N. hamata in a window!
I can barely keep anything alive in my house environment. Only Amorphophallus and Alocasia will live in the dim and dry conditions of my house, Neps are almost dead unless they're in my special chambers. I'm jealous!
smile.gif

Ditto phyrex. It is an uncontrolled environ. My N. x ventrata doesn't seem to mind but it isn't maturing any pitchers in this weather either.
smile_l_32.gif

I do feel very lucky at my success and very favoriable conditions to be able to grow many plants as windowsill specimens.
The humidifier on the furnace was a big help.
I have very little room for neps, and took my one to work after getting my hamata. The work windowsill is a west facing window and the plant is not pitcher as well at all compaired to the south facing window it used to be at.
I have close to 30 plants right now in my south facing sliding glass door. Many are my tropical plants which grow outside spring - fall, all doing great.

I'm with Swords. I could not grow a ventrata as a window plant....
Great job!

Cheers,

Joe

I can't wait until my hamata gets larger...
Very nice plant.

Back