What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Aside from the VFT's I successfully put through dormancy and other plants that only "slow down" during the winter, this is my first full year of attempted dormancy / slowing down.

My ventricosa is bombproof and I was a bit spoiled, but I have received a few cuttings from a couple of friends (ventrata, gentle, gracilis, and ventricosa - red).

Of the major CP genera, I am least well-versed with Neps. I barely know about highland and lowland, as well as higher humidity, temps, and not immersing pots in te water. I was getting some new growth on my cuttings but my gracilis and especially ventricosa red started to blacken. I fear the vent red is all but dead. I bought a tall, plastic container w/lid to keep humidity higher and placed all of the cuttings inside. After New Years I checked on them. The new growth on my N. gentle died and the ventrata is just hanging in there. Same with the gracilis.

Does this set up need to be loosely covered? Covered totally? Temps? Any advice offered would be appreciated.

Hi Jim:

In my opinion, getting a cutting to strike is still more an art than science. It's amazing how two cuttings from two different species behave differently. Regardless on what method you use. N. X Ventrata is the easiest to strike, while that of N. X Trusmadiensis is hell on earth to make it strike.

Does anybody have a fail-safe method yet?

Gus

Hmm. I've hit about 14 of 16 cuttings I've tried of various species and hybrids. I'm blessed with naturally good humidity (50-80%), so I just put some rooting gel on the end (which I've put some vertical slits into), and plop them into pots of regular nep mix and put 'em in with the rest of the neps on a shelf under lights. No bags, no special treatment.

Capslock

I'm wondering if I didn't strike a balance with air circulation / provision of humidity or if there was too much change too fast. The ventrata and gentle cuttings were at least staying alive and showing new growth when exposed to the air.

I put my cuttings in a ziplock bag with a little water in the bottom then wait for new growth. Once I see some decent growth I check for roots. If rooted I move them to my grow room. Humidity is very important until the plants get a good root system, at least from my experience. Rooting hormone sure helps speed things along.

Glenn

Thanks, Glenn! Live and learn as always!

Back