What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pics

So, this is my third installment of pictures, im starting to get the hang of it. This is my little baby N. Northiana, its growing well and each leaf has a bigger and bigger pitcher. Also, I have an ant colony in the terrarium and my Nepenthes take full advantage.

IMG_0138.sized.jpg

On a course for disaster. I just noticed the camera reflexion...im still learning how to take pics ;)

IMG_0137.sized.jpg

Adios little guy.

More to come

Nice! I have a new northiana myself, and it's currently inflating it's first new pitcher since I got it. Took a little while to settle in.

I've been meaning to get a northiana for a while, but i've heard some stories that it's VERY difficult to care for. How hard is it to care for?

I heard the same, but to be honest its been a breeze to grow. Every leaf has a pitcher and each pitcher gets bigger and bigger. They do like lower light levels, I put mine on the second level to get more light and the leaves looked a little burnt but still growing happily. Keep it in typical lowland conditions with good air movement and it will be fine. Also, I hear it likes live LFS, Id put some limestone in it as an experiment since it grows in little limestone crags filled with moss.

Hmmm... guess i might get one. I have a stovehouse with temps in the 90s day and dipping to 70 at night. The humidity is always relatively high, and i can put it under the basket that my others are in (it's a plastic basket that lets in 80% of the light, and it's on it's side).

N. northiana is one that is a heat lover. Only grows and pitchers for me when its not winter ;) Mine has a few pitchers on it and they've just halted progress even though the chamber is heated and can reach up to 85F on a nice sunny day (like yesterday up here) but the sun has been so rare even my N. bicalcarata is starting to protest and is making smaller pitchers. How I desire spring to be here!

Bottom line is, only get it if you can kep phumidity very high and temps very warm.

I love Northiana's.
But this one doesn't have the typical flared peristome.
Too young I assume? At what age does it usually get it?

We have N. northiana from seed. Not all have red peristomes, each one is different. Most have striped peristomes and the pitchers are a pale green with elongated red spots. This is another one of those species that doesn't show itself until the plant is up to size. Lowlanders like long daylight hours as well as warm temps. Dustin, even though your temps are warm, it could be your short winter day light hours that are the problem. N. northiana does not like it bright, it's a shade lover. Constant high humidity is required for good pitcher production (and to keep them thriving in the long term). But once they're up to size, it's worth it! It's personally one of my favorite species.

I'm definitely getting a northiana in my next order.

Back