What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to build a hanging box?

I've noticed whenever someone posts a picture of Nepenthes in a botanical garden or conservatory somewhere, you typically see some of them hanging in these square wooden boxes with a lot of room between the slats.

Does anyone have plans on how to build these things? (i.e. type of wood, moisture sealing, optimal spacing of the gaps, etc.) Or does anyone know what they're technically called so I can get some more success in finding them on Google?

Thanks a lot.

I think they are a type of orchid basket. You can also get plastic netted orchid or aquatic plant baskets and make a hanger of some sort for those.

Cheers,

Joe

I am going to experiment (if my time and motivation ever happen to coinside, lol) with using the plastic netting you get potatoes in. Hey, worth a shot.

I found a thread on here that's full of the boxes I'm talking about.

http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....t=13751

They look simple enough... I'm just wondering if the type of wood is important and how to moisture-proof it without hurting the plant... that sort of thing.

One made with bamboo would look very cool I bet.

Generally in the past those were made of teak wood but I think nowadays it probably cedar. I don't think you can use just any old pine lumber as it will probably mold/rot.

Don't use bamboo! I tried that with my N. rajah when it was young, I put it in a manufactured bamboo pot but after about six to eight months the pot got all moldy/fungusy and eventually fell apart.

If you can't find the wood baskets at a local orchid nursery look for a Bachmann's flowershop. Year round they sell a 10" or 12" round plastic "aquatic plant pot/net pot" which is a plastic pot full of holes, these pots rule! Especially for highlanders, I wouldn't suggest the net pots for lowlanders as they allow for too much evaporation from the soil and many lowlanders like to be very moist.

I use one of these for my N. alata. It seems to like it, but I have to watch out that it doesn't dry out. I think the larger ones would be more forgiving.
N_alata_boschiana_mimic4.sized.jpg

Capslock

I guess thin openings would be ideal... but there isn't really a way to control the gap/wood ratio, is there? Just the nature of the design.

I'm told that cedar and redwood don't need to be treated at all for this sort of thing, so that's good (yeah, I don't know much about the subject).

I'm still trying to figure out how I should put it together. There isn't much space in those corners to put screws... and I can't put a screw through one slat only to run into the head of the screw below. Can anyone with one of these boxes see easily how it's put together? I don't think even a strong glue would be a good idea with a big plant.

I think the best way to put it together would to drill holes in the corners of each wood piece, then use a long stainless bolt and hold it together in that way. I wanted to chang all my plants to these type of "pots" but after using one I know it would be alot of work keeping the plants well watered.... especially if you have alot!

Those wooden slat baskets are very nice, but as previously mentioned require alot of water to keep the roots happy. They would be easy to make and easy to vary the slot width, if you have access to cedar, which one could find sold as the "patio" posts, that are a solid cedar log, you could easily cut your slats out of that with a table saw and jigsaw, but I would only consider this route if you're very determined to make dozens of those pots!

A few years back I made several of these baskets out of cedar. The wood was scrap I had from another project; in fact the cedar is sold as 6 foot long pickets for fences. Using a table saw I cut the slats of various lengths depending on how big the basket was to be. I made the slats about 1/2 inch thick (about 1 inch wide) so the open areas would be the same. I drilled small holes through each slat end (premeasured and drilled in bulk). I then used heavy aluminum (some were also stainless steel) wires to thread through the holes with a loop being made (coil around end of needle-nose pliers) on the top and bottom of the end slats to hold the whole thing together. On the bottom you will have to arrange slats to cover the bottom. I did this by tacking with small nails a series of slates also spaced about 1/2 an inch apart. Because the bottom slats are resting on top of two end pieces the nails only keep them from moving laterally. If something does not make sense PM me. Neither of red wood or cedar seems to harm plants and both are resistant to rotting; but I have had benches in the greenhouse decay in 3 years when almost constantly exposed to water. A good Nepenthes basket should drain quickly so these are ideal if you can keep the humidity up. I have used both long fiber sphagnum and coco husk in them with great results.

You can cut strips of ceder and use fishing wire to hold them together. The boxes only last about a year and a half or so depending on the type fo wood, weight of the plant. gaps about 0.5 inches are approprate.

Plastic orchid baskets last a lot longer, although they're not as good looking.

Theres lots of places to buy them if you want to buy them. If you want to make them, I found it easiest to buy a sheet of lattice and take it apart. Use industrial stainless staples.

Forgive me for sounding totally ignorant, however, what do you line these baskets with to stop the planting medium from falling out?

You'd use LFS or at least surround your medium with LFS. Orchid bark would probably hold too.

I was thinking I'd have to purchase an aquatic plant basket to place within the other style baskets to hold it all together. Either that or some sort of a panty hose liner for lack of a better description.  We practiced with orchid bark/horticultural charcoal and pieces of it were falling out. We don't have a Nepenthes yet but we will very soon. Speaking of aquatic plant baskets, why not just use those?

http://www.henristudio.com/showcas....jpg.htm

http://www.pondbiz.com/home/pb1/page_446_8/plant_baskets.html

http://www.watertropicals.com/access/aquaticplantcontainers.asp

I have those too... I just think the wooden boxes look cool.
smile.gif

endparenthesis,
I have seen the orchid wooden boxes you are talking about at many Lowes stores. Most likey large garden centers would have them as well.

Sort of off topic but does anyone recall those telescoping poles that used to be able to be used to showcase hanging plants? I had one once for ferns back in the days of macramé.  Bet those are still available.  One of those might look really nice with hanging baskets filled with Neps that had hanging traps. I suppose they even make them to accommodate newer homes that have the higher, vaulted, and cathedral ceilings.

Back