What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unfortunately when I had finally fully completed my terrarium and was ready to fill it up it was already winter and too cold to safely order lowland nepenthes online.

I’m currently still waiting till I can order them safely but when exactly is this? What month(/temperature) normally?
The sooner the better. :D

---
Anyhoo, I’m mostly looking for: (With the first ~5 being most important)

1) N. northiana
2) N. merrilliana
3) N. truncata
4) N. ampullaria
5) N. bicalcarata
6) N. veitchii
7) N. rafflesiana 'Giant'
8) N. campanulata
9) N. sumatrana
10) N. albomarginata (preferably red/rubra)
11) N. clipeata

I would appreciate advice on where I could best order them online.
I prefer paying more for larger versions (ie: not super small). :)
Please share your experiences. ^^
Thanks.

You may be able to order them (depending on where you live) regardless of temps. I ordered some plants from Tony around christmas, and they all arrived alive and thriving. Pickier ones like northiana might get more damage. Neps can be real troopers sometimes. If you are nervous, then you might want to wait until it gets above freezing-45 degrees reliably in the daytime.

Ampullaria is a really great choice out of the "Lowland Species" I just started getting into lowlanders since i was so stuck on highland nepenthes so from what i started out growing N.amp- is a forsure gotta have. I've been sent lowland plants from online ordering but it really matters where you order from and where you live yourself. Everything i have got has been here in California so its alright so ship since were not that cold at this time. If it is a bit chilly where your at i would wait til early spring to be safe. Good Luck!
smile_m_32.gif

Yeah I was also stuck on highlands only first but had problems getting a good enough temperature drop. I’m gonna modify a freezer in the near future but first this terrarium needs to be filled.
smile.gif

It’s 50 cm high, 50 width and 160 cm long so quite big however I’ve no idea how many plants I can really keep in there. I *think* I can keep 10 small plants in there with quite some space left so I don’t immediately have to find new shelter or prune them back. But concerning mature plants I can probably only have very few. (4-5?)
I know Bicalcarata can’t stay in the terrarium forever but hey, lets just worry about that later.
biggrin.gif

Oh and about the Ampullaria, I prefer the "red giant" and speckled ones or even the green one above those varients with red perristimes like hot lips.
smile_r_32.gif

Dunno, Ampullaria is the only plant where I actually like it somewhat green.

Back