What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guess what i am

• Thread starter WildBill
  • Start date
Who can guess what Nep this is?

Neppy.jpg

That's a tough one. I'm guessing it has veitchii and northiana somewhere in the mix?

I am kind of stupid sometimes with stuff like this. I would say lowland veitchii, but my first thought was truncata.

cheers,

Joe

The parents look like N. veitchii, N. maxima and N. northiana. Then again it could just be N. x mixta.

Wow, you guys are on your toes!!

It's a N. northiana x veitchi.

The nicer looking pitchers that have more stripes have grown on the back side of the terrarium where I can't easily photograph them.

WildBill,
Very nice. There's not too many of these around. We have seedlings of N. (northiana x veitchii) x (northiana x veitchii) made by Steve Stewart a few years ago. Cliff Dodd made the original cross of northiana x veitchii, and then Steve crossed the two siblings from that cross.
Do you know the origins of your plant?
What conditions do you find that it prefers? Is yours slow growing?

Interesting, it doesn't have the same sort of northiana ovoid shape as the northiana x veitchii I've seen before.

Hi Trent -

The plant is seed grown, from ICPS seed I received and planted 4/01. It does seem to grow slowly.

After our big NECPS show last October, I repotted it from a crowded 6 inch pot into a one gallon pot. The picture above shows one of the first pitchers that formed after the shock. I have it growing in a large terrarium that's 24 inches high, 24 inches wide, 12 inches deep. It's very humid and wet in there. In the same tank is a N. rafflesiana and a N. khasiana x ventricosa - it's kinda crazy in there. All the plants sort of tangle around each other (time for a greehouse, huh?). It's lit from above with 2 shoplights that are on about 17 hours a day. It's difficult to access inside the tank, but I do feed the traps every 3 weeks or so with Chiclid fish food pellets or small crickets. I rigged up 3 plastic dripline hoses that extend from outside the tank to the soil of each pot. I water with rainwater from one of those old fashioned pointy tipped restaurant ketchup bottles - the tip fits neatly into the hoses.

Bill

Trent, would it be possible to get hold of a pic of that f2 hybrid? I'd be really interested to see how it turned out. Hamish

WildBill,
Seed raised, very nice! Cool set up, but the bad news is that once in a greenhouse, your neps will still tangle around each other and act crazy! Our experience with the same hybrid is that it is very slow growing.
Hamish,
The f2 are not ready for their close up. They don't really look like much at this point, but we are happy when they grow new leaves. All pitchers are still small and immature. We have six or seven seedlings, two have a red stem and red coloration on the pitchers (as far as we can tell at this point). When they look like something, we'll post pics.

Back