What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Awesome pics Schloaty!!

My N. aristolo (a wedding present from Schloaty c/o Tony P!!) is growing on a shelf - not in a terrarium at all. The top of the stem is maybe 3 inches from the lights (2 fluorescent bulbs). The lights run 17 hours a day, sometimes more when I'm up late working on a project. It's in a 6 inch plastic pot, potted in mainly LFS. I give it a little rainwater ( 1/2 to 1 cup?) every other day or so. I feed the traps a "Betta Bio-Gold" tiny fish pellet every week or so. It seems happy and each new pitcher is a little bigger than the last.

I hope this information helps.

Bill

Is the humidity really good in your house? I've been eyeing aristolo for a while but don't have a chamber or anything for it. If I could grow it on a shelf that would be great. Any advice?

NG - LOL, no 5C it's not too warm, as mentioned, the only other thing I can think of it low humidity, but I would have thought you'd have that under control.

Schloaty - I find that intriguing, as I'd put 2 months in the long term category, you see effects after a month or two of conditions they don't like. Those night temperatures are even higher than we get at a stretch in Sydney, more like Brisbane which is a subtropical climate. I didn't realise NY state was a subtropical environment?

Hamish

Subtropcial? Hardly. Just feels that way in July! When you go upstate (towards Tony & Dustin), it's (usually) much cooler at night in the summer. But down here (near NYC), summer nights can be unbearable for sleeping (yech!). Thank heavens for AC.

And I may just have an extra-hardy specimen. I mean, asside from the two months of not-perfect highland conditions (rainy nights are cool, so it's not 2 months of STRAIGHT heat...but I digress), it took a few tumbles off the railing onto the deck, and got it's tip nipped off by my cat.

Just starting to inflate it's first pitcher since the cat incident. Had to grow out two leaves w/ no pitcher buds!

What a trooper.

Well I've moved it to a MUCH sunnier location, the area it was in had alot of shade from the giant N. mira plant....so maybe it will pitcher again. We shall see. I almost hate to post this but heres a photo of the pitchers its making:

P1212573.sized.jpg

Back