What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just how big............

............of pitchers will the average run of the mill speckled ampullaria get? anyone have any pictures? the reason i ask is mine is growing by leaps and bounds. its current pitcher is twice the size of the last and is now about golfball sized. the way its going in two or three more pitchers it will be able to swallow a golfball. its diameter right now from base of one tendrel to the other is about 10-11 inches. the scarry thing is i have a bicalcarata x ampullaria that is about 6 inches in diameter and it has the same sized pitchers as the speckled amp, that thing is going to be a monster. i swear it and the amp are trying to one up each other.

I would guess, and what I have seen at ABG that is about as big as you will get

The N. ampullaria "Tayeve" form can get enormous pitchers as frequently noted. I belive some have been documented up to the size of a softball and larger!

WOW!

I've heard the usually get around 3" tall.

N. ampullaria "Tayeve" can get quite big. there are some pics on Wistuba's website. however i was just curious as to the average speckled amp. i have also noticed my amp is the best bug catcher out of my Nepenthes. all my neps have bugs in their pitchers but not in the numbers of my ampullaria. wierd since all my lowlands sit together in the same tank.

My amp, sold to me as a "speckled" gets pitchers about 4 inches tall from base to lid base.

N_ampularia_14.sized.jpg

Capslock

Err... I think a PM would be better suited for that comment kirk.

That's a pretty hearty sized ampullaria, i can't wait until mine reaches that size. It's pretty small right now though.

Nope Kirk, I'm back home finally. However, I'm off on vacation for a week starting tonight.

Capslock

I see that Cook's has Nepenthes ampullaria "Tayeve" but is it the Tayeve, Irian Jaya with the speckles or Nepenthes ampullaria "Tayeve, West Papua" that's green?

I would think it's the same one, given that Irian Jaya is West Papua.

Back