What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. rajah

Hi
This spring I intend to remove the four basal off-shoots from my main rajah. To ensure the best possibilty of them taking while reducing any stress to the mother plant are they best cut or "pulled" off.
I hope in removing them it will increase the growth levels on the main stem quite a bit.

cheers

bill

Yes. Some members of NECPS did this with N. rajah. It seems that rajah has a tendency to put its energy into producing off-shoots and it was thought that separating it would encourage it to grow. Perhaps one of them will fill in the details here...

I seperated some from an N. rajah I recently recieved in a trade and simply pulled them from the soil, very gently, not much roots as I suspected since they are probably "sucker like" offshoots. It should encourage the main plant to grow a little more in theory.

Dustin,
Did you try to root the "sucker like" offshoots that you pulled off? Michelle has sucessfully rooted offshoots of 'Miranda' and some others this way, but it seems to take a while for them to establish. It's almost like a tip cutting. Can't say that we have observed removing the ground shoots or "suckers" encourage the main plant to grow a little more, but cutting back the main vine will make the ground shoots become the main plant very fast. As for the "suckers", it may be a different situation with N. rajah.

It has been noticed that rajah will produce heaps of side shoots at the base as a small plant, it has been postulated that it has a more severe reaction to the hormones used in tissue culture which causes this. These shoots, once big enough, can be removed an easily rooted up. Probably better to cut them off (to avoid tearing), but you can tear them off if you do it careful, and if a strip statrs to tear off, just cut it with a very sharp (and sterilised) knife.

Maybe I will try with my other Neps

Hi Trent, I just potted them up and am treating them like regular plantlets. A few pellets of Osmocote to jump start them and I'm hoping they should establish quite easily. The root that they had when I pulled them off the mother plant was taplike and quite straightdown. It did not have any root hairs that I could see but did indeed appear to be the "root" of each N. rajah "sucker".

This "mounding seedling" thing with N. rajah appears to be only a "problem" with TC plants as previously mentioned with the overload on hormones as my seed grown N. rajah has never done this, just continued to get very large.

Bill, just wondering where you got it from?  If it't is one of ours, then no cytokinins were used in the tissue culture process for that species, it doesn't need any.  However, they multiply anyway in the lab and continue to do so for a while in the nursery, almost as if BAP had been used.  We break off the side shoots and root them.  They are quite easy.   Wouldn't use Osmocote until some roots had formed though.

So how big is big enough? I had a bunch of tiny ground shoots form on my N. hamata, and I'd like to get a bunch of hamatas out of it, obviously. Right now the tiny rosettes are about an inch in diameter. I got these after I went on vacation, and my plant/house sitter let it get perilously dry.

N_hamata_little_freaks.sized.jpg

Capslock

I also seperate every tiny offshoot from N. rajah and root them. My plant has produced these plantlets in every leaf axle. I teard them carefully off and placed them into living sphagnum moos where they quickly started to grow. The result after one year were nearly twenty little plants from a single mother-plant which now has stopped producing any more offshoots. The main-plant seen in the background has grown better after the plantlets were seperated...

N_rajah_Stecklinge.jpg

Matthias

Hi Matthias
Wow never seen so many Rajah,s
Bye for now Julian

Back