What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rafflesiana

I have a N. rafflesiana with spots in the top of the leaves. One leaf is almost red with them. Temps get just above 100F in my greenhouse, is that too much for the poor guy? I have a ventricosa in there and even it seems to be fine. Anyone have some advice?

Thanks
Dave

Uh I would suggest keeping the temperature UNDER 100F Like 85F range. 100F is way too hot for most any plant (except cactus) but then again, if your humidity is around 80% or higher at 100F then I suppose it would be ok because transpiration rates coupled with the high humidity shouldn't be that bad too the plants. I would think form red spots it is sunburn.

Definatly too hot. Turn it down to 80-90 gradually of course. If it gets above 90 Neps do not grow too well.

Ok. But how does that explain how every other plant (even the ventricosa!) shows no abnormal behavior? No sunburn, good pitchering. Hmm...

I've got a thermostat in the mail to me, so i should be able to control the temps better with that.

Ventricosa is a tough plant with sturdy leafs. Being a highlander does not mean that it can not cope with hot daytime temperatures. It can get very hot on tropical mountains during noon.
The red spots on your rafflesiana won't kill it - well, would have to see an image to be sure. The high temperature is definitely not needed, you can also save some energy.

High temps do not cause leaf spotting based on our observations. rafflesiana, hookeriana, and a few others such as merrilliana will show the red spotting when the leaves are wet at night and the temperatures drop below 55 degrees F. This temp is an approximation-not hard and fast. Point is-we see it when the leaves are too cold at night, not so much caused by high day temperatures.
Just thought of an exception. Water droplets on the leaves in full sun can cause little burn marks.

Most lowland Nepenthes will tolerate 100 deg. F OK for short periods if the RH is kept up. Certainly N. rafflesiana is one of these but it's not recommended, as Tre Bond says, 80-90 deg is much safer.

High temperatures does not cause spotting on leaves by itself. Low temperatures does that, especially in association with water droplets as Trent says, or excessive light. If the temperature is too high for the plant , even if the humidity is high, then the first and last thing you will see is terminal loss of turgidity (wilting) from which recovery is not usually an option.

The temps are around 70F minimum at night. I don't think that would be a problem though. I lowered daytime temps by opening up a flap. The highest temps got to 93F. My raff is already starting to perk up.
smile.gif

70 at night is cool enough that it might cause some red coloring on lowland Nepenthes. I prefer 75-78 minimum for lowland Nepenthes. Of course other possibliity is leaf spot fungus. Can you take some pictures?

Tony

I have had yellowish spots with red in the center when my highland tank reaches unfavorably high temps. New leaves were normal once I lowered the temp. Don't know if its related. Zongyi

The topic title kind of fooled me, lol. It should read "N. rafflesiana.". Normally I am not a stickler for those things, but isn't Rafflesiana (genus name is always in caps) the genus of Bornean-Malaysian plant that produces the world's largest flower? Or maybe it's just close to that and I should just shut up...

smile_n_32.gif

Cheers,

Joe

I think you're thinking of Rafflesia
smile.gif

He is. Anyway, it seems the worst is over, it is currently recouperating.

Back