What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best light type?

I know one guy who uses a 1000 wt MH for his highland chamber. Maybe the heat during the time it's on helps create the temp swing that they prefer...

Joe

darn 1000 watts thats hardcore, hard(pause)core. I wish I had the provisions to run a few of those....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (turner @ Jan. 27 2005,4:28)]Does the kelvin rating really matter that much? I've seen a bunch of "Aqua-Glo" lights that have a 18 000 kelvin rating. And on the box it says that they are great for promoting plant growth.

I'm confused
smile_l_32.gif
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Does the kelvin rating really matter that much?

Yes, it does. 6500 Kelvin is supposed to be approximately the light color of the tropical sun at noon over the Equator. Good for your neps.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I've seen a bunch of "Aqua-Glo" lights that have a 18 000 kelvin rating. And on the box it says that they are great for promoting plant growth.

I almost fell for those, too, when I bought the lights for my first terrarium in an aquarium shop. Fortunately, the owner was an orchid hobbyist and told me that 18000 Kelvin is _also_ approximately the light color of the tropical sun at noon over the Equator, BUT at 100 feet under water on a coral reef. Sure, your plants _will_ go batpoop with a bunch of these lights. Unfortunately, only your aquatic plants (hence the name "Aqua-Glo")

cheers

Hans

You can use the aquaglow type bulbs that are basically blue actinic.  But you need to suppliment with some red spectrum for nonaquatic plants.  An incandescent bulb or a warm white tossed over the plants would do.  Personally I don't think they are worth the cost over a standard daylight type bulb in the 5000-6500k range.

Tony

Back