Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best light type?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sooooooo, is 270 lumens enough for my small 10 gallon tank then?
    Just remember that you are special... Just like everybody else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's all you get from the two 11 watt bulbs? My guess would be no unless you just have mid to low light nepenthes, but if it's working for you, keep with it. It's amazing what works sometimes. If your plants are "stretching" toward the light, then you'll need to come up with something better.
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seedjar is right, lumens are of no use in measurement for plants. 270 lumens............I didn't know you could have that few of lumens.

Incandescent - NO
    fluorescent - yes ; use a combination of warma and cool white. Overdriving is even better.
    CFL (Compact fluorescent) - yes ; better than standard fluoro. Shoot for VHOs
    HIDs - the best ; Metal halides are excellent but provide much headache for small enclosures/ too much heat.

You can NEVER have too much fluorescent light- only too much heat
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    halides don't cause headaches, seesh. You just have to know how to set them up properly. Of course they're going to cause heat issues if you have them set up in the wrong manor, but one can easily say that about any type of lighting. Its all about how you set it up.
    https://www.instagram.com/hull.jess/ (I post pics of my plants there)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know one guy who uses a 1000 wt MH for his highland chamber. Maybe the heat during the time it's on helps create the temp swing that they prefer...

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    darn 1000 watts thats hardcore, hard(pause)core. I wish I had the provisions to run a few of those....
    https://www.instagram.com/hull.jess/ (I post pics of my plants there)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (turner @ Jan. 27 2005,4:28)]Does the kelvin rating really matter that much? I've seen a bunch of "Aqua-Glo" lights that have a 18 000 kelvin rating. And on the box it says that they are great for promoting plant growth.

I'm confused [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img]
    Quote[/b] ]Does the kelvin rating really matter that much?
    Yes, it does. 6500 Kelvin is supposed to be approximately the light color of the tropical sun at noon over the Equator. Good for your neps.

Quote[/b] ]I've seen a bunch of "Aqua-Glo" lights that have a 18 000 kelvin rating. And on the box it says that they are great for promoting plant growth.
    I almost fell for those, too, when I bought the lights for my first terrarium in an aquarium shop. Fortunately, the owner was an orchid hobbyist and told me that 18000 Kelvin is _also_ approximately the light color of the tropical sun at noon over the Equator, BUT at 100 feet under water on a coral reef. Sure, your plants _will_ go batpoop with a bunch of these lights. Unfortunately, only your aquatic plants (hence the name "Aqua-Glo")

cheers

Hans

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use the aquaglow type bulbs that are basically blue actinic. But you need to suppliment with some red spectrum for nonaquatic plants. An incandescent bulb or a warm white tossed over the plants would do. Personally I don't think they are worth the cost over a standard daylight type bulb in the 5000-6500k range.

Tony

Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast