What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beginner needs ideas

Hi - I also posted on the Drosera board. I am brand new, and am very interested in the carniverous plants. Before I get my first one, can anyone tell me what Nepenthes are best for a rank beginner? I grow orchids and other tropicals, but have never ventured into these guys. I need something that will be small, due to space issues. Also, something that can be grown indoors. I'm in S. California, so I get quite a bit of sunlight thru my west window. Its very dry here, but I do mist regularly and use pebble trays. Also, do all of these plants require distilled water, or can any of them tolerate tap water? Thanks so much!

Randi

Ah, nepenthes, my specialty.
First: "The Savage Garden" still mandatory reading.

Second: There are many plants that will thrive on your windowsill, and are relatively cheap.

Third: I recommend N. alata, N. ventricosa, N. khasiana, N. sanguinea, N. x Ventrata (hybrid, alata, and ventricosa), and N. emmarene (N. khasana x N. ventricosa) as small windowsill beginners plants.

Places to buy: California Carnivores, pricy, but great service.

Par O' Bek Orchids. This place specializes in Nepenthes. The service is great, amazing selection, resonable prices, you won't go wrong here.

Cook's Carnivorous Plants. Good prices, good service.

Don't forget Exotic Gardens which hosts the forum. They have N. ventricosa and N. ventrata which are mentioned above as well as several others. I have one of their ventricosa and I can vouch for it being pretty bullet proof. It has refused to die even after I have forgotten to water it. Which has happened several times
smile_l_32.gif

Attempted murder! OMG!

It is true that exotic gardens has some plants for sale that i mentioned above, but i haven't ordered from them, so i can's really say how good they are.

Welcome to the forum. To answer some of the other questions. Purer water is generally better. Nepenthes can tolerate some minerals but if you stick with distilled, deionized, reverse osmosis, rainwater you will be better off in the long run. Humidity and bright light are deffinately key for pitcher production. The plants mentioned are all good choices for less than ideal conditions.

Tony

Khansiana is still the beginner favorite

Since Randi has space limitations and needs a Nep that will stay small (most of them get quite large in time), a N. ventricosa is a good choice. N. khasiana is very easy too, but they do get big!

Miranda should get added to the suggestion list too (a plant petflytrap.com has). I don't know how tall they get since mine are still cuttings... but from the pictures I've seen they seem rather compact, taking up space mostly with the long tendrils hanging down.

If you see one called, "Tropical Pitcher Plant", it is likely a ventricosa or something comparably easy, like sanguinea. Go for it!

Hi all:

maxima
maxima X ventricosa
X Ventrata
Maxima X veitchii
X Rokko

Khasiana does get to a reasonable size, but it's just short of bulletproof.
Ventricosa is next on the bulletproofness list
these are the MOST TOLERANT.
Others compatable with windowsills are: alata, sanguinea, maxima, burbidgeae, fusca, x Ventrata, x Emmarene, macfarlanei, and ephippiata. All of these are ones that i have grown on my windowsill successfully, except emmarene and khasiana. Both of those are VERY tolerant though.

Wow! You guys are great! I never expected so many responses! Thanks to you, I now know what to look for. I'll let you know what I get! I love this board, and it looks like I'm here to stay.

Randi

Quick word of caution on x'Miranda'....They actually do get fairly large. Mine is about 18" in diameter (at least...hard to tell with drooping leaves). I have it in a 10" hanging pot. Well worth it if you do have the space, though. Mine has produced pitchers in under 30% humidity. Now THAT'S tollerant!

Back