What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greetings:

While potting up stragglers in my collection this past weekend, I was somewhat surprised to see that a lone seedling of Nepenthes lowii "Gunung Trus Madi" that I obtained from Andreas Wistuba in 2000 (!!!) has finally generated a couple of 2.5 cm lower pitchers. Unlike its more robust cousins from other origins, these pitchers do not have bristles on the underside of their lids. These minute pitchers are also much more elongate than the other plants that I grow, although the overall plant morphology is the same.

This particular plant is, obviously, a painfully slow grower.

I know that there are people here who have both this ecotype of N. lowii and N. x trusmadiensis in their collections. Is it possible that this plant is a hybrid, or is the lack of bristles at this early stage normal/of no consequence? I also understand that there was some question as to whether older N. macrophylla in TC were hybrids - what was the final determination on them?

Cheerio,

Jay

Jay,

You'd have to wait for a few more pitchers to be produced to see if it's a consistent characteristic. Also, at that size lowii does produce pitchers with no bristles on the underside of the lid. If a 5cm pitcher is produced with no bristles, then you may have a hybrid.

Hamish

Way to young to see any bristles yet. Wait until the plant has pitchers around the size of a thimble before starting to see any hairs.

Hi Jay.
Your Nepenthes lowii "Gunung Trus Madi" is a bit small to tell yet. Sounds like it needs to get a bit larger before it starts to pick up speed.
I can't tell a difference in growth between the "trus madi" and other lowii. I personally like the "Gunung Trus Madi" version better, as it has really red purple pitchers. Hang in there.

I am wondering about N.macrophylla hybrids myself. Here is picture of one of my "Mystery plants".
mac04.jpg

Any opinions?

Thanks for the prompt responses.

I'm still curious about these pitchers. In particular, the plants that I have from Gunung Mulu show bristles on their lids when even pitchers were smaller (albeit much chunkier) than this.

I will, however, "hang in there" for another decade or so until this plant grows up...

rlhirst: your "mystery plant" is wonderful - looks like a vigorously snaggle-toothed but somewhat pale macrophylla. Perhaps a few sessions in the local tanning salon will color it up?

Peace/Jay

Well, based on how well Jay's other plants grow in his environment, I am guessing something is not right. Almost five years and it's producing a one inch pitcher?
Jeff will have to chime in and tell us the difference between the four locations, but didn't he get a plant to flower that was six years old?
Maybe you got a lousy clone?
Cheers,

Joe

Hey Robin, looks to me like you're the proud owner of a young N. x Trusmadiensis.

rlhirst, I would agree with the view that your pictured plant is macrophylla. What made you call it a "mystery" plant?

Looks like N. macrophylla. Usually see some stripes and alot more red color on the peristome on young N. xTrusmadiensis.

On the N. lowii. 1" pitcher you might start seeing some bristles here and there. But I wouldn't rule it out that it's not a pure N. lowii yet. Can you post a picture of the plant and pitchers?

Tony

Ah guess it looks like macrophylla....teeth looked odd to me and the purplish throat......must be my eyes lol.

Sydney neps, I am calling it a mystery plant because I think it has too many teeth. I guess it could just be the natural difference between clones though. Thanks for your opinions Guys.
Jay, I agree with Joe though, you may want to pick up another clone. Besides you can't have too many lowii, right?
smile_n_32.gif

Robin

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Besides you can't have too many lowii, right?
That's right -- you can never have too many lowii! BTW, I also think that your plant is N. macrophylla.  The flanges are more robust than what one typically sees on macrophylla hybrids.

Also, regarding the growth rate of your lowii, I am surprised that it is as slow as you indicate.  Most of my plants from G. Trus Madi produce a new leaf and pitcher about every six to eight weeks or so....

BTW, I also think that your plant is N. macrophylla.  The flanges are more robust than what one typically sees on macrophylla hybrids.

...[/quote]
Unless it's the seldom(never) seen hybrid between N. macrophylla and N. edwardsiana...
smile_n_32.gif

OK. Moved the little bar sinister (ette?) outside this morning to brave the elements with its cousins. No sunscreen nor Gore-Tex jacket provided.

Think that it's time for this lazy, spoiled Neppie to learn that life is stern and life is grave.

Goodbye, gravy train - Tough love, ahoy!

Jay

Back