What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red spots on bicalcarata!

Hello everybody! My Nepenthes Bicalcarata and N. x Dominii have these red spots on their leaves (the pictureis bellow). I thought they were caused by winter diminished sun-light hours and unusual cold temepratures here in Puerto Rico.

NEPENTHESBICALCARATAREDSPOTS.jpg

But somebody (rlhirst, thank you for the advice, it was a bad news, but I needed somebody to tell it to me ) told me last night that the red spots were fungus infection. He told me to use Zyban. But I would not like to use any quemichals with my plants.

Does anybody have any idea of what is happening with my plants and what can I do. Since I thought it was a matter of weather, I was expecting these strange red spots to desappear with spring's arrive... but if it is not a matter of weather or seasons I am really worried.

Help
confused.gif

http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin/ib312/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=7;t=16246

oops I replied in the other thread.

Try not to get the same topic going in 2 different threads. Will move the other replies to this one.

Your post in the other thread:
Hello to everyone! I have the same problem with my N. Bicalcarata, and with my N. x Dominii. But my problem started when 2 factors happened in December.  1st, the sun-light hours get less, and the sun get so inclined in the horizon that there was no direct sun-light in my gren house. And 2nd, december brought unusual, too cold temperatures, at least for us in Puerto Rico. I have my Carnivorous Plants in my house in the city, here in San Juan, PR, and Temperatures droped to 60's F.by night. And then in January, they droped to low 50's F...

Well, when sun-light hours deminished and temperatures started to drop in this very unusual way here in coastal San Juan, PR. my Bicalcarata and Dominii started to have this red spots in its leaves. And it have reach such proportion that Dominii have entire leaves colored in red.

Here is a pic of some leaves of my Bicalcarata:
(edit- picture link removed as it's included in the first post)

I though that cold temps and less sun light caused this to my Nepenthes, but reading this here, that some of you say that maybe it is too caused by too much light, and seeing my Rafflesianas (they are in the green house but under the sun filtred light and do not have any spot on it) Then, I am very confused.

So, can anyone  have a theory or something. Or are we talking of diferent problems?

Robins Reply:

emilias_garden,
looks like you better get out the systemic fungicide
Sorry for the bad news. Try Zyban. It worked wonders for me.
Robin

Your reply:

Hello rlhirst. So, the red spots on my plants are not cuased by wheather, but by an infection??

My reply:

[b said:
Quote[/b] (emilias_garden @ Feb. 01 2005,6:05)]Hello rlhirst. So, the red spots on my plants are not cuased by wheather, but by an infection?
confused.gif
?
Yes although the cold temperatures make the problem worse for picky lowland plants like N. bicalcarata.

Reddish leaves in higher light is usually more of a flush on the leaves.

Tony

Hello Tony! Sorry for the duplicate topic, I am new here and stil try to get use.

Thank you for your help, but what should I do. Can you, or anybody else give me advice in what to do withthis sutuation?

Thanks!!!!!!

Hello rlhirst! Thanks for the link and for the advices.... I have ben trying to find info about "Zyban" But I do not find anYthing but a medicament to quit smoking that is called like that. Do you know howcan i find it or info about it???

Here is a link to where I bought mine.
zyban
hope that helps.
Robin

Back