What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ventricosa cuttings beginning to root.

Hi, i'm short on time right now, so i'll elaborate later.

I went out to my greenhouse this moring. When i picked up a ventrcosa cutting (i was impatient, and i wanted to see if they were moving along) i saw a little root system pokingo out the bottom. It wasn't very big, but definitely roots.

I'm happy, this is my first successful ventricosa cutting (or third maybe, i haven't checked the others
smile.gif
)

How long ago did you cut them? If they have root systems they should also be making new leaves and pitchers.

T

About three weeks ago. There is no hint of sprouting from the stem though. I used some rooting hormone, was that a bad idea?
smile_h_32.gif

The cutting with the growing point has a new leaf though.
smile.gif

That's how my cuttings have gone so far. After a few weeks to a month you start to see roots, then a few weeks after that the growing point (if it's still there) starts to show signs of life, then it makes some unimpressive leaves for a couple more months. If the cutting is mid-stem and needs to grow from another node, I don't usually see anything above the surface develop for 2 months at least.

Nothing wrong with rooting powder. I wouldn't expect much after 3 weeks. Probably roots are just starting to poke out of the cut. Will need another month or two at least before it really has much of a root system into the surrounding mix. The cutting from the top will continue to grow slowly since it can absorb limited water through the cut end. Don't let it fool you into thinking it's ready to go just yet! .. patience is the key with Nepenthes cuttings.

T

I'm not sure what's up with my ventrata cuttings.
I took five cuttings in late July. All 5 have rooted. 2 of the 5 have just started to create the "unimpressive leaves" as endparenthesis puts it. They have taken a long time to get going, so do not be surprised if it takes a while for the node to start to grow with the unimpressive leaves.

Nepenthes cuttings take forever for me, especially if one is in a temperate area with no good natural photoperiod, if fluorescents are employed, chances of success are greatly enhanced.

I just cut off ones with growth points. Never without. A mother plant will produce a new growth point form a cut stem every month or so so you can usually get a cutting a month. the first leaf that comes out I would not really consider a true leaf. More like a leaf sheath.

Hmm... good points all. Errr... false alarm about the roots. It was a bit of sphagnum that stuck on to the bottom.
biggrin.gif

If the part witht the growing point on it has produced a leaf and almost no roots, would it still be wise so sever it to limit transpiration? Or should i leave it on so i can put water in the pitcher so it can absorb it? I've heard both work.

I did cuttings of my N. coccinea about 2 1/2 weeks ago and all of them have a new growth coming out of a node. It suprised me.

Wow, that's faaaaaaaaaast. I wish my vents were that fast.

I have had various experiences with cuttings....Even from the same plant. For example, I took about 5 cuttings from my gracilis a while back....one bit the dust, two took off in about 6 weeks, one took about 3 months, and the last one, while still alive, has been S L O W ever since....and that's about 9 months ago at least!

So it varies not only from plant to plant, but from cutting to cutting as well. Interesting.

I took another ventricosa cutting from another plant (the one with 15 pitchers) and i decided to root it in pure water. I guess i'll see how it works.

I left the plant i took the cutting from in one piece this time (after taking the cutting) so i would be able to take more in the future. I would post a pic of the previous plant, but any other CP'er would punch me out.
biggrin.gif

Back