What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes containers?

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
Hey there, I was just thinking about repotting some of my Nepenthes when it comes time to separate my seedlings. As a math student/compulsive organizer, it really aggrivates me that the round pots my Nepenthes live in leave unused space in my terrarium. I read that Nepenthes like wooden boxes, and the idea intriuged me. Does anyone know where I can find the appropriate types of boxes? If you know of any sources near Olympia, WA, that would be great, but I'm also open to ordering over the internet or something. Are there any building materials I should stay away from? (I know zinc can quickly decimate a Nepenthes... what about types of wood?)
Thanks guys
~Joe

look for baskets for growing Orchids. they are what your looking for. any orchid supply dealer or well stocked greenhouse will have them.

buiild them with aluminium nails (the solid wood ones) and make them out of cedar.

I'm interested in plans for building them too... I asked about them here: http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....t=16131

People seem to attach the corners together by threading thick wire through holes in the slats (nepgrower in my thread had a good explanation). I'm wondering what other methods people have come up with to piece them together as well. I'm also wondering if galvanized steel wire is safe to use, since it's waterproof and easily found in many gauges.

This is the type of box I'm talking about... I'm assuming you are too:

(not my photo... found it online... my thanks to the owner whoever they are)

orchid_box_closeup.jpg

Cedar is the wood to go for, highly decay resistant. As for the wires and stuff, I would go with anything galvanized. Would really help with warding off any oxidation of the metal. Stick to aluminum or steel wires.

Back