What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windowsill varieties

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
I've got some Nepenthes that are supposed to be able to handle out-of-terrarium conditions (N. alata x (ventricosa x alata) and N. sanguinea,) or so I was told by the guy who sold them to me. Right now I have them in a ten-gallon tank because I don't have any other plants that would like to be in said tank any more than the Neps.
However, some have started to climb (and be a general sprawling nuisance,) so I'm thinking about cloning. If I could evict a few of my Neps from the tank, I'd have plenty of space for clones. Also, I'd just like to have some Neps around the house, where they're more visible. So, I guess what I'm wondering is, what are your favorite "windowsill" Nepenthes varieties?
~Joe

I'm growing a N. x miranda, a N. hirsuta x veitchii, and N. ventricosa in windowsills currently. The hirsuta x veitchii has climbed about six feet and makes enormous pitchers, and the ventricosa is thriving, too. I think my conditions are a bit cool for the miranda, but it also has survived.

I suppose it really depends on the specific conditions in your house. I have the feeling that virtually all of my neps would grow there, but I have cool, humid air.

N_hirsuta_x_veitchi12.sized.jpg

Capslock

DANG capslock! I want one of those! LOL, All I have in my windowsill are some ventricosas and a judith-finn. Then again I only have those and a gracilis which I tried to windosill but I had to move it to a terr.

I want one also. I guess I chould have let my alata keep climbing instead of cutting it down. I have all my neps outside. With lowlanders in a big terrarium

I gotta say something Max.....HYBRID VIGOR!
smile.gif
What a wonderful hybrid, very very attractive.

Gotta agree with Dustin. One of those plants I never gave a thought to, and then I see yours, Max. Very nice.

Cheers,

Joe

I have N. 'Emmarene' (khasiana x ventricosa), N. rafflesiana, and N. 'ventrata' (Nepenthes ventricosa x alata). I also had N. sanguinea but needed room and sold the plant.
I do have a N. hamata which has been doing better then I expected as a windowsill plant. I do not recommend it if you do not have a humidifier on the furnace.

My humidity has been between 20-60%, but I've only lived in this apartment for a month, so I don't know exactly what it'll be like year round. The Drosera and Pings don't seem to mind - it only gets below the thirties in the mid-afternoon or when I accidentally leave the window open with the heat going. I have a swamp cooler beneath my CPs that helps keep them slightly more damp than the rest of the place. I suspect, living near a major body of water, that the humidity should only go up when it gets warm enough to turn off the heat and open the windows. That wouldn't be a particular problem to the Nepenthes in question, would it? Particularly, I'd like to move my N. alata, N. x ventrata x alata, and N. x Judith Finn out of the tank, as they're getting a little too big for a ten gallon aquarium.
Thanks
~Joe

PS - Capslock, I can only hope I'll some day have something as nice as that to display with my collection. What is it climbing on?

Thanks! I didn't have much hope for this hybrid either, as it was a pitcherless scraggely little vine that was kind of thrown in with a bunch of other neps I bought. But it's one of my favorites now! I think it goes to show that virtually any Nepenthes that is grown in favorable conditions is going to look great (plus, anything with veitchii is going to have some size.) All summer long it kicked out big upper pitchers like you see in the picture, one after another. It even put out a couple this winter.

Seedjar, it's attached to a stick I shoved into the pot, but it's grown way over the stick now and just kind of leans against the window.

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seedjar @ Feb. 06 2005,3:57)]Particularly, I'd like to move my N. alata, N. x ventrata x alata, and N. x Judith Finn out of the tank, as they're getting a little too big for a ten gallon aquarium.
My ventrata is pitchering in a cold basement that's probably terribly dry. I wish I had a way to give it a more humid winter but I just don't have the setup right now (I mist a few times a day). The lids of the pitchers dry up within a month after a pitcher forms usually, but that's the extent of the damage done to it by its environment.

I like sanguinea, as it is a sizeable grower, and very pretty. It's also kinda hard to kill.

So... if I'm going to move them out of my terrarium, do I need to give them any sort of transition? I recall seeing something about gradual humidity changes being easier on sensitive plants. The terrarium is probably only 10-20% higher than the ambient air at any given time, so I don't think it should be too bad. I only worry because my N. alata never, ever pitchered until I started keeping it in a dry cleaning bag with standing water to provide humidity. (That was before the terrarium, of course. God, that bag was ugly.)
~Joe

I like your plant in the picuture very much.

My favorite is N. ventricosa x talangensis. It puts out a lot of basal shoots and it never gets very big. Mine seems to put out a lot of tendrils at one time then inflate all around the same time, so you get a lot of pitchers at one time.

Back