What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Failed offshoots

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
So, I'm really sorry that I don't have pictures of this (they'll be up ASAP) but my Nepenthes alata has displayed some very strange growth in the past few months. Early last year it started productive growth, pretty much for the first time since I'd acquired it. Then something strange happened...
At first, I thought it was branching, and I guess that's what it was trying to do. It put out a cluster of buds around the top of the stem and popped out a healthy basal rosette. But the buds never really developed... they got bigger, but the leaves kept getting more deformed. They started out looking like Nepenthes leaves, sort of, but they had very narrow ends, just tapering to a curved edge with no notable tendril. Soon they tightly cupped the buds, never unfurling or reaching for light; they didn't even emerge in the long, rolled shape. The older leaves were so tightly pressed to the buds that newer leaves couldn't emerge, or got impossibly small. A few of these buds have failed, died, and turned brown, but they are so large and thoroughly attached to the stem that I can't pull them loose. The buds and leaves surrounding them prevent me from getting a clean cut at them.
All in all, it's not terrible. A few months ago, it managed to produce a healthy growth meristem near the top of the plant (until I accidentally snapped it off) and looks sort of normal... but now the basal rosette that showed up last year is doing the same thing! It starts with deformed leaves and eventually they don't even really look like leaves. I'm not really worried or anything - it's more of a curiosity. It might even be good, because when one bud fails, it seems like two or three show up to replace it shortly thereafter. Anyways, I was hoping somebody here could fill me in on what this is or what causes it.
To quote Kindergarten Cop - "It's not a tumah!"
...or is it?
Thanks guys
~Joe

Where did you acquire the plant from?

Sounds like one of them genetically messed up N. Ventrata you find more and more frequently at home stores and local nurseries.

Tony

Hmm... I did rescue it from Fred Meyer's, the local supermarket/Wal-Mart wannabe. I'll get a pic real soon so you guys can have a look.
Thanks!
~Joe

I have a ventrata and an alata x truncata that does the same thing - produces "blind" growing tips from time to time. I also have a hamata that puts out deformed growth. I have a strong feeling it result from genetic defects arising from tissue culture. I never have the problem with seed grown plants.

Hamish

It might have spider mites, my neps had it once, they delveloped deformed, small and curled up leaves. Do these sound like your plant?

Fortunately not! I have some succulents that might have spider mites, but I've only seen the webby stuff, not the mites themselves, and those plants are on the other side of the apartment. The leaves aren't so much deformed... they just don't mature. Then more leaves grow inside them and pretty soon it looks like some sort of bulbous tumor. I haven't picked up my camera from the shop (camera + banana = mess) but once I do I'll put up some photos.
~Joe

Back