Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pitcher lifespan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I have been comparing the pitcher lifespan between three species I grow. The rajah, hamata & villosa.
    So far the rajah lasts the shortest time. The lid dies off first and them gradually the pitcher. The plant is still fairly small and the biggest pitchers so far produced are about 2 inches in height. I would have imagined that in the wild large mature pitchers would last many months given the time & effort the plant needs to produce such large structures?

The hamata pitchers seem to last ages, even given their relatively papery feel.
    But the villosa wins hands down with pitchers still being in excellent condition well after a year or more!

Is my experience with fairly short lived rajah pitchers typical amongest growers?

cheers

bill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, I think that the pitchers on my ampularia last the longest, followed by the merrilliana and the aristolochioides.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow those three species, And yes i would have to say N.rajah does'nt hold its pitchers as long as hamata.. and villosa as well. My rajah also starts to brown from the upper lid "top to bottom".

D r e w M c c l a i n
    http://www.geocities.com/southerntropicals

As the sun shine's through the clouds above the table top mountains,nothing more can be seen then a beautiful landscape of glowing Heliamphora's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got N. thorelli x aristolochioides that have lasted forever, and N. x Rokko that are getting to be ancient.

My N. rajah is hurting these days, as it lives exposed outdoors year round and suffers the San Francisco winter head on. The pitchers so far haven't lasted that long.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the pitchers on my maxima x miranda last way long. I think I have a pitcher on there thats almost 6 months old. The shortest I would say are my juvi northiana
    https://www.instagram.com/hull.jess/ (I post pics of my plants there)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really does depend on the species/hybrid and how vigorous it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My maxima has yet to drop it's origional pitcher. It was purchased over 6 months ago. Ventrata is a winner too. It's pitcher lasted from the time i first bought it (about 9 months ago) up until about two months ago.
    Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my Ventrata last April and it still has some half-dried pitchers from the original greenhouse, and some pitchers it formed after I received it that only have dried up lids.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast