What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. tobaica "not"

Not a tobaica!!!  Still these are nice looking.  This is an intermediate/Upper pitcher.  Just wanted to share.

tobaica not jan 04.jpg

Glenn

Oops wrong forum! Please move to the Nep forum.

Sorry
confused.gif

Glenn

Is that the famous N. x emmarene (or a cross with tobaica and emmarene)? I remember J&K orchids sold these plants as N. tobaica at the show in MI. Nice pic!

Moved to Nep forum for you.
Andrew

You know, it kind of looks what I would imagine an intermediate/upper of N. burkei to look like, though obviously it's not.
It's very pleasant looking. Well done!

Cheers,

Joe

Could be that 'N. tobaica' from Deroose.. Seems more colorful than what I have seen posted previously though. Clearly a N. ventricosa x something something

Tony

This is an older picture of the lower pitchers.  They are all green when young the get a little color as the get older.

106-0665_IMG.JPG

Sorry, should have resiaed it!
confused.gif

Glenn

Yep, definitely the ones J&K sell.

Amori,

This one came from Goldner Walsh in Pontiac. I did get a N. maxima "Not" from J&K, it turned out to be N. x gentle. Still another nice plant.

Glenn

Yup, that's Deroose's N. tobaica from tissue culture that is widely available. Of course, it's a hybrid and NOT the species. As Tony said, it has ventricosa in it. Deroose names their plants for the retail market after the pod bearing female plant, therefore this is N. tobaica x ? (looks like ventricosa).
Please note, this is not N. emmarene. N. emmarene is a hybrid that was made in Miami by Ron Pratt, it is N. khasiana x ventricosa. Looks similar, but true N. emmarene is a larger plant with larger pitchers than the Deroose "tobaica". N. burkei is extremely rare, and it is doubtful if there are too many hybrids with it - if at all.
Glenn, nice lookin' plant.

That is a very nce looking Nep you have there •

Trent,

How do you account for the mottled pitchers? Tobaica and ventricosa don't have this type of coloring. Perhaps it is a complx hybrid with a third plant. I have seen people suggesting that this hybrid may have khasiana in it. Any thoughts?

Glenn

Jess,
Yes. N. khasiana has markings that are very similar to the N. 'tobaica NOT'.
Glenn,
It could possibly be a more complex hybrid. The exact parentage is proprietary information. We have seen N. ventricosa with spots. Anyone know of spotted tobaicas? Also, N. emmarene is a possible pollen parent. Being that N. emmarene plants were distributed widely and can be found in many of the European collections (and Deroose could have obtained a hybrid with it easily).

By the way, on BobZ's photo finder, found some photos of some beautifully spotted N. tobaica.

The real N. emmarene is also on the photo finder. Unfortunately, some misinformed people have been calling this tobaica hybrid N. emmarene also, which only helps add confusion to the Nepenthes hybrid mess.
confused.gif

Also here in Italy there were sold some "NOT" Nep. Tobaica as Tobaica.Incredible.
I bough one and it gave me many saddisfaction.Very Easy and in March already with low temperatures ( 16 Celsius) and some morning light ,it began to produce traps!
Here is a photo of my Ex Tobaica growing some good months in my Terrarium.
Bye!
Mr_Aga
tobaica.jpg

Mr Aga

Looks just like mine! The upper/intermediate pitchers are more interesting. Mine has produced several bassal shoots.

Enjoy!

Glenn

Hi Glenn!
I have found other 2 pictures of my ex "NOT" Tobaica
Nepenthes sold with its wrong name.Here there are :
tobaica2.jpg

tobaica3.jpg

Tell me what you think!
The trap was red because it was the first time I put her out to direct sun,ehehe!
Bye!
Mr_Aga

Back