What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. maxima cuttings

The top of my N. maxima snapped off just below the oldest green leaf. It dipped it in some rooting hormone and stuck it into damp lfs after cutting off some of the leaves and pitchers. Was this the right thing to do? I don't have much luck with cuttings of any plant. The rest of the plant is only a stick coming out of the pot. I'm wondering if it will grow new shoots because it has no leaves. Thanks!
566Web_DSCF0283.jpg

This was one of the pitchers on the plant before it snapped.

With a little luck, you'll have two plants soon. The only thing I'd have done a bit differently is make some vertical slits in the stem where you dipped it in rooting hormone, just piercing the outer skin. This is where roots usually develop. If you just took the cutting, you can still do this.

The "stick coming out of the pot" also stands a good chance of developing new shoots. It already has a theoretically good root system, so you could easily end up with two plants out of this!

Capslock

I agree with capslock. I do think that with easy plants like this, you could dissolve the rooting hormone in distilled water, and root it there. No problems with it drying out then!

More than other plants I've grown, a Nep's reserves are in the top, not the bottom. The topless root will survive and grow, but much more slowly than the rootless top.

My first Nep was a large, but pruned to leaflessness N. khasiana. Not knowing Neps, I assumed it would quickly outgrow the nearly rootless N. x Nentrata she sent as a bonus plant. It took almost 1 1/2 years for the N. khasiana to take off.

Great looking specimen. While you're at it you should maybe make multiple cuttings, just in case
smile.gif
(When did this happen, btw?)

Back