What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. gymnamphora

Hi,

looking through the MT catalog I found an interesting note concerning the status of N. pectinata vs. N. gymnamphora:
http://www.malesiana.com/plant/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=NE-61

Does anyone here has an update on the taxonomic status of N. pectinata? Of course I am interested, because I have a N. gymnamphora looking quite similar to the N. pectinata on the MT page...

N_gymnamphora_200205.jpg

Joachim

I have always figured them as two different species. Particularly because the leaves seem very different to me between the various N. gymnamphora and N. pectinata I have seen.

Hallo Joachim,

In the year 1993 I had the pleasure to meet the following species on a small mountain south of Jakarta (Java, Indonesia) :

gymn1.jpg

gymn2.jpg

Tentatively I identified it as a N. gymnamphora, but I didn't really verify it. I thought your thread here is a good place to add it to the discussion.

Regards or better cheers
smile.gif

Volker

Hi Joachim
Great looking plant there,love the shape.
Volker
You are indeed lucky to see these plants in the wild but the plant looks a lot like Hirsuta to me.

Bye for now julian

Looks like N. gymnamphora to me in Volkers photos. N. hirsuta wouldn't have such a wide peristome Julian and would have a darker appearance due to the hairy nature of the plant.

Yes, the plant was not hairy at all. Furthermore N. hirsuta is AFAIK endemic to Borneo.

Very nice looking plants there Volker,it must have been quite a thrill to see them in the wild.

Jhoacim that is a very prettily colored plant you have there.....kinda maximaish are they closely related?

Back