What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. talangensis tc mutation?

Well, I certainly would be annoyed if I was a highland connoisseur and the pitchers started to look like that.
How long did the person grow the plant before that happened?

Cheers,

Joe

Joe,

I'm not sure, but I think he has been growing these for a long time. He's a friend of a friend, so I'll see if I can track his email down and ask him directly.

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.
confused.gif

Humm, thats very odd. Perhaps something is causing the pitchers to become malformed that is climate related? Perhaps his humidity drops frequently or temperature isn't cold enough at night???

looks like what happens to ampularia if there is low humidity and not enough heat. Maybe something like that but reverse, not enough chilling (freaking HL'ers). Perhaps there are wild fluctuations that they're not aware of, or can not consistantly monitor.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ Feb. 24 2005,11:01)]Humm, thats very odd. Perhaps something is causing the pitchers to become malformed that is climate related? Perhaps his humidity drops frequently or temperature isn't cold enough at night???
No, he is growing this mutated plant with his other highlands -- N. hamata, another N. talanensis, N. aristolochioides and a bunch Heliamphora plants. No other plants have any mutations.

It happens - one of my hamata has deformed leaves and pitchers which I'm sure is a result of TC. All those chemicals can play around with DNA. Another reason why I go for seed grown plants - who knows what subtle changes TC does to these plants.

I see Emesis, I also agree with Hamish, I forgot about the effects of TC. Only plant that has trouble thats a TC plant is my N. aristolochioides, sometimes is makes really funky growth, other times it grows regular.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Feb. 24 2005,6:31)]How long did the person grow the plant before that happened?
Joe,

The grower said, "I must have had the plant for about 2 years under ideal conditions for it to start mutating. Well, this time, I'm just going to wait it out and see if the mutation stops or if the plant will just stop grow and start 'pupping' at the base."

Nep gracilis - you may find aristo does that from temperature as well. I have some seed grown aristo which will produce blind shoots and deformed growth in the middle of summer when the nights are warm, as do my TC aristo. Other than villosa, it's the grumpiest species I have as far as temp goes.

Hey Hamish, nice to hear about the same problem. Well I doubt it temperature! It gets to around 8C in there at night and sometimes lower (the heater lags a little bit during prepurge and post purge comustion chamber cycles), so I do not think that is the issue. I believe it was humidity. But that shouldn't be a problem anymore. Tony came down the other day because he ordered me an underbench fogging system that I really needed. We installed it and hooked it up to a humidistat that I had, hae it set around 70% so humidity is very nice in there now. Before it could drop to around 40-50% in the day with high temperatures...I think that was the big problem, but all in all we shall see what the problem is.

Back