What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New neps from local nursery

My local Nursery got a shipment in of these babies in about 2 weeks ago. I've been growing CP since the early 80's, but I've never bothered with Neps. because I grew most of my stuff outside and didn't have a greenhouse.  Well I couldn't resist any longer, and these looked nice and healthy so I bought one of each.  The first picture is the smaller plant for $9.99 it's in a 4 or 5 inch pot.

nep.jpg

The second two picture are the larger hanging basket in an 8  inch pot, ( it was $24.99)  and a closeup of the pitcher which are about 6 or 7 inches long.  

newnep1.jpg

newnep2.jpg

The smaller one is in a terrarium while the larger one is hanging in my bathroom next to a corner window which faces North and West. The humidity is about 50% in the bathroom.  So  we'll see how it fares.

Nice plants you got there.

I'm not sure what species is the first but the second pic is a N. x Ventrata.

Large is Ventrata - definitely

Small can be- alata, ventrata, khasiana, and maybe a few more.

The smaller one kind of looks like the DeGroot "N. tobaica", which some have surmised is N. tobaica x N. khasiana or N. venticosa.

Cheers,

Joe

The first nepenthes looks like N. x emmerene
(a cross of
khasiana x ventricosa)

Drew Mcclain

The emmarenes i've seen don't look like that.

Joe Griffin hit the nail on the head. It's the DeRoose tobaica-but it's not tobaica.. For more info on this plant there was a thead called tobaica-NOT. This is the same plant.

It is not N. emmarene.

I will agree with Trent becasue he is obsessed with Neps
smile.gif

I obtained the same plant from Petflytrap at the time they were selling them as N. tobaica. As my plant started to mature theres no doubt in my mind that the plant ended up to be a cross between khasiana x ventricosa.

Drew mcclain

Yeah I will have to see what my N. tobaica from Hirts Greenhouse turns out to be.

Tre,

I would put money on the DeGroot hybrid, lol. Unless their plants originated from Rob Cantley, Malesiana Tropicals, Andreas Wistuba, Phill Mann....am I forgetting anyone?
Somebody posted a pic of a intermediate/upper this hybrid put out, and it is surprisingly pleasing.

Cheers,

Joe

What is the difference between the Degroot hybrid and the normal? What is the hybrid of?

Tre, read Joe's comment: "DeGroot "N. tobaica", which some have surmised is N. tobaica x N. khasiana or N. venticosa."

Actually, nearly all of the most popular Neps-as found at Lowe's, Home Depot, chain operated garden centers- are from a large wholesale nursery located in Belgium, called Reginald DeRoose. Their tc clones include N. Miranda, N. alata, N. coccinea, N. Gentle, N. tobaica. The seed used to generate the plantlets are the result of hybridizing, and the exact parentage is proprietary info-a trade secret. We can only make educated guesses as to what plants were used to make these hybrids. From amongst the dozens of seeds put into tc, only a few make it to the marketplace. These are the most attractive and vigorous, and they are cloned by the thousands. How else are they able to supply nearly every Lowe's garden center in the USA and their overseas customers as well?
Of interest is the fact that they name the plants after the female-the pod bearer-of the hybrids produced. Thus the plants called alata we all know is not pure alata, but ventrata. This is because when producing the seed to use for tc, they crossed a ventricosa onto an alata. The same applies to the tobaica. Something was crossed onto a tobaica. They would not use the name of a totally unrelated species otherwise. Most likely-we are guessing here-a ventricosa or (khasiana x ventricosa) was used as the pollen donor-male plant. Also, perhaps the "tobaica" used as the female was not pure-the possibility exists that a (tobaica x ventricosa) was the female, mislabelled as tobaica. A check of Nep hybrid literature should be done to see if anyone made such a hybrid that may have found its way into European Nep collections. (I guess that should be me)
One thing it is not is emmarene. I know the guy who made that cross decades ago and named the grex. N. emmarene has a larger growth habit, more akin to the khasiana parent.
Hope this has helped to clarify matters a little.

DeRoose....why do I keep saying DeGroot, lol?

Thanks,

Joe

I'm not sure why anyone would want to clone this smaller plant of mine by the thousands. It's really pretty boring as far as Neps. go, unless that will change as the plant gets older. I mean the pitchers are not colorful and are pretty bland as far as construction goes. By the way, this plant was labled N. Alata.

Jason,
As the "tobaica - NOT" matures, the pitchers are actually very attractive. See the pic of Glenn's plant in the previous thread.
The labels are sent with the plant from Deroose seperate - not in the pot of the plant. Your photo looks exactly like the plants as received directly out of Deroose's greenhouses. What's nice about this particular clone is the small growth habit. This plant will never get huge like a N. 'Miranda'. It's a perfect candidate for terrariums and windowsills. Also, it has a different "look" from the other Deroose clones, making it distinctive.

Joe,
We knew what you meant. Close enough.

Greetings and salutations (or just ALOHA as we say here in Hawaii)

If you got the N. Ventrata in the same shipment with that white hanging basket pot, then it is N. tobaica without a doubt. DeRoos just has N. Ventrata and Gentle in the siz inch hanging basket, and N. Miranda and Coccinea in the eight inch hanging basket. The Miranda that they sell seems to be a different clone from another in circulation.

A special note is that that N. Ventrata clone gets much redder upper pitchers as the plant gets more mature. Immature pitchers will be half green and upper slightly bronze red. As the plant starts making upper pitchers, they become very dark red, especially more so in bright light.

MM

Back