What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sad few months for my neps

I've lost three of my favrite neps in the past few months
smile_h_32.gif
my truncata, bicalcarata, and belii. *sighs* its not fair!

Now my miranda's are starting to look very bad as well. All the leaves are turning yellow around the edges. Its also not just my neps but also some of the regular plants growing in my yard. I'm wondering if I have a disease starting or maybe its just been the weather. Has anyone had this problem?

Right now the temps have been in the high 60s at night and mid 80s in the day. Its also been raining a lot, but with sun. The humidity is about 60%. I keep them outside in my greenhouse with shade cloth (I think its 60%).

can anyone help?

Michelle
smile.gif

underwatering, overwatering? either that or it could be some sort of parasite or disease
confused.gif

Hi Michelle,

Can you explain how the other 3 died? What symptoms did you see? Did they just turn brown? Did they go limp and wrinkly first? Did the leaves turn brown from the edge or from the center where they attach to the stem?

The temperatures you mention, is that inside the greenhouse? What kind of water do you use and what are the plants potted in?

On the N. Miranda, are all the leaves looking yellow around the edge or just the lower or upper leaves? Are they still green in the middle? Are new leaves nice and green then yellow over time? Is the plant still forming pitchers? Are new leaves at least as big if not bigger than the older leaves?

Sorry for all the questions but the more info you can supply the better.

Tony

Well the first three were baby ones and I went out one day and they just were all black and dead, it was sad
smile_h_32.gif
I don't think those were in the same situation as my mirandas.

Those are the temps in the greenhouse. My greenhouse isn't really a typical green house its just a wood frame with the shade cloth on it. For the water I usually just have rain water because it rains everyday. But when it doesn't rain I use tap water. But I haven't had a problem with the tap water and I've used it for a year or so now with all of my cp's, so I really don't think its the type of water.

As for the pots, they're in are hanging pots, 10' and they have holes, so its well drained. I have various types of potting mixes. Peat, Sphagnum, coconut bark. All of them are in different combinations.

The leaves are turning yellow from the outter part of the leaves and over time going farther in till its all yellow. Its also all of the leaves, not just the bottom ones. The plant isn't really making pitchers either. They start to form but never bloat up or get bigger. The leaves that are new are still getting bigger as a newer one comes out, some stay the same size.

heres some pics to show you...They aren't too great because its really more yellow than the pics show. Also, the brown part were from before when I accidently left it in the sun and it got burnt (opps) But the yellowing is all new....

yellow.jpg

yellow2.jpg

Thank you for the help!
Michelle

Well my bet is underwatering. But that means you should not have any pitchers, I am not sure if you do though. Higher humidity might be needed but I doubt it. Maybe salt from the coconut fiber? I don't know follow Tony's advice

I`m sorry to hear of this:( It looks like sun scorch to me.

Huh.. almost looks mineral related or something along that line. Sodium in the coconut husk?

Have you tried feeding them with anything?

Tony

Thank you guys for the help, I really appreciated it!

It looks like they're doing a little better now. The new leaves are staying green........ well, so far anyway. I guess I'll have to wait a little longer to see if they stay that way, because the others were green at first too. But so far so good.

I haven't changed anything that I was doing yet though, so maybe they were just acclimating to their new place and thats why theyre green now? Or maybe there was sodium in the coconut bark like you guys suggested and it got washed away with all the rain that we've been having? I dunno.

Tony I haven't been feeding them with anything. I've just let them be. Should I start to? And with what?

biggrin.gif
me again

if they were mine, i'd repot and water with distilled water.

Back