What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preferred growing medium?

I am looking at starting some N. lowii and N. mirabilis seeds but I am not sure what the best medium is to start those seeds on. If anyone can give any tips that have worked best for sowing these seeds that would be great. They are about 2 - 3 months old now and I really want to plant them before they are no longer viable.

Cheers,
Ravn

Wow, hope the source you got them from was fresh....
I have had luck with peat/sand(of all things) and I think many of the people here use chopped or milled sphagnum(dried or live).
A buddy of mine across the pond uses 50:50 vermiculite/perlite with really good success.

Cheers,

Joe

I am not really sure just how fresh they were. I really cannot complain though as I got them for the cost of postage. I will give them a shot and see what happens, I got nothing to lose.

My preffered medium is pure long fibered sphagnum moss,this is serving very well for my N.ventricosa "red" x "green" seedlings:)

50/50 vermiculite/perlite? how often does he have to water? how does he keep it from seperating and how does ke keep the plant from flopping over when it's freshly potted?

i'm very interested in this.

with seed from the same batch(it was the ventricosa green x red menthioned earlier) i planted half in chopped Chiliean LFS and half in coco peat(ground coconut husks) and placed them side by side in the same conditions. the germination was excellent in the LFS(prolly close to 85% or more) but very spotty(off the top of my head 5-10%) in the coco peat although those that germinated in the cocopeat are of similar size and vigor as those in the LFS. so i personally use LFS. granted ive only germinated 1 out of 3 different packets of seeds sent to me. so take my one time experiment for what its worth. i havent tried peat/sand or the perlite/vermiculite route.

Generally i would say thjat a seedling should be sewn in something large enough to allow it to stay there until it is of enough structure to withstand a re-potting. I also like to use a light air flow to give strength to young seedlings, just light flow-don't blow it over.

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Mar. 02 2005,10:48)]50/50 vermiculite/perlite? how often does he have to water? how does he keep it from seperating and how does ke keep the plant from flopping over when it's freshly potted?

i'm very interested in this.
He just grows them in seedling flats(like those that have 72 little sections/flat). Maybe he uses the included tray and just puts enough in to keep the medium damp.

Cheers,

Joe

Back