What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep.  low humidity experiment.

I'm conducting a low humidity experiment on this Nepenthes X Ventrata.  It's hanging in my bathroom window for about 3 weeks now.  The second picture is of the humidty gauge I placed there for testing.  The humidty ranges from about 40% to 55%, highest right after a shower, then over the next few hours it drops to a low of about 40%.  The pitchers are not drying up after 3 weeks.  Hopefully it will continue to pitcher once it completely acclimatizes to these conditions.

humidity1.jpg

humidity2.jpg

N. x ventrata should pitcher in these conditions with no problem. I have found this species to be a wonderful house plant. Good luck!

Wow it`s 130.9 degrees in your bathroom? Btw.nice looking ventrata:')

Pondboy I think that is Military Time 1309 hrs 1:09 p.m.

Oh,I didn`t know they had clocks Lol.

very interesting, Elgecko once adapted a hamata to windowsill conditions, I've adapted byblis liniflora to these colorado conditions

I have many neps pitchering happily in similar conditions. 'Ventrata' is one of them... Also ampularia spotted, rafflesiana elongata (these two surprised the heck out of me!), 'Miranda', copelandii, eustachya, albomarginata, truncata x ventricosa...probably more that I forget right now...

My humidity sometimes dips into the 30's....Once saw it at 27%
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

So, as you can see, many Neps are VERY adaptable. I'm quite sure they'll have bigger, more robust pitchers in the summer when they will get a higher sustained humidity level, but they're doing just fine for now.

I have a number of plants growing on windowsills here at work. Granted I am in Atlanta but the indoor humidity is really not that high. I have 'Effulgent Koto', vietchii, clipeata, 'Miranda' and ('Mixta' "superba x thorelli) x albomarginata and they are all growing and pitchering very well. I also have a raff on the windowsill at home and it is quite happy there.

Persoanlly I think that so long as every other condition is met (i.e. heat, light, watering, etc) then humidity becomes less of an issue.

Cool, that gives me some hope of having a decent looking Nep. hanging in a window.

Back