What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phoenix down?

A sad story:

o_O Mom killed my coccinea!!!! -_- Aparently mom was cleaning the fence in the backyard with Tilex and she accidently sprayed some on my coccinea! the leaves all started to die out real fast, but after 2 days a leaf started to sprout out of the tip of the mother of all stems. Mom kept telling me that i should cut the dead leaves of because it looked so ugly, but I didn't want to cut them off...i dunno...maybe intuation I guess...Anyways, i came back from college the day after that and when I started to water the plants I noticed that mom had cut the coccinea right off its stem! o_O I freaked out and we had a BIG fight.
Days passed, weeks passed and the stem is still there without a single leaf...I'm depressed you guys. I'm talking about my first ever carnivorous plant in my life and mom kills it away. Is there any remedy for this? Can't anything revive my precious coccinea?
And what is up with the Smileys? (they look like Rabies jajaja)

Sincerely,
erick

If it still has a root system you might get a basal shoot eventually... or if there are any dormant nodes remaining they might sprout after a month or two. If the Tilex poisoned the plant systemically, I don't know if there's anything you could do.

Definitely flush the pot out really well to make sure it's all gone.

All options seem to involve waiting it out.
confused.gif

I firstly would get a gallon of RO water and saturate and drain, flush a couple times to make sure that ABSOLUTELY nothing is in the soil. After that: Wait it out for a couple weeks and you should know if it has a chance or not.

Joe

Flushing the pot won't hurt so might as well try that.

You may get lucky and a shoot might grow from whatever stem is left. Odds are not great though and without any leaves left on the plant it will struggle for a long long time to build up strength again if it is able to produce a new shoot. If the old stem is really brown and dry it could take months to see a new shoot.. if it remains alive that long.

Tony

Thats true, I hadn't thought about that. Without leaves it will have a heck of a time building up any energy.

Superthrive perhaps? I don't know if the roots of a Nepenthes would have the stored energy to make use of growth hormone, but I don't think it would hurt. You could flush the plant a few times to get out the Tilex, then water it with a dilute solution of Superthrive. I've also heard soaking damaged plants in diluted Superthrive works well, but you'd need to unpot it and repot it to do that and I doubt your plant needs that kind of stress. You could maybe use a light fertilizer in conjunction with Superthrive, but that would risk burning the roots if too much fertilizer is used. I've got to defer to the experts on this, though, as I'm still new to the CP game.
Good luck, Erick. I dig your signature - reminds me of my mom!
~Joe

Thanx you guys. I'll try my best. If nothing happens, then I'm gonna have to find me a seller to buy one. o_O

L8ter

All I can do is repeat what everyone else has said. I had a similar experience. I moved some of my Nepenthes under a stairwell in my back yard. It is a galvanised stairwell. A couple of months later I had plants starting to look sick, with growing points dying. I have a feeling the zinc coating of the stairs was getting into the pots when it rained. I now know that zinc is toxic to Neps. Anyway, I moved them, flushed them thoroughly and took a few cuttings. The cuttings seem to have struck, and one of the plants has a shoot coming from the old brown stem. One of my hamatas lost its main growing vine but a basal shoot has survived. So there is some hope....

Unpotting your plant is not necessary. Place the whole pot into a bucket of superthrive solution (one capful to two gallons of water) and let it soak for an hour or two. Hit it with some water with Superthrive at least once a week to give it some root feed.

Back