User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ideal home for truncata highland?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    still too small. That baby gets three feet around.
    Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey endparenthesis, where do you live (state)? You may be able to grow it outside for the growing season until you can find a better grow chamber for next winter. It shouldn't out grow that tank in the next two months (I don't think).

I plan on growing mine outside. High summer may proove difficult, because we really don't have cool nights in July (end of June/beginning of Aug, too), but my hamata and arisolochioides made it with flying colors, so I'm not too worried.

Oh, I grow mine in about 2/3 LFS and 1/3 Schultz orchid mix (bark, charcol, pumice, whatever else they have tossed in there). Growing like a champ. Not as big as yours yet, though. Can't wait!
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure yet. If it was outdoors I would think I'd need a better water collection method, as it would probably need a lot (even more now that it's in an airy pot). I live in VA, on the edge of zone 7a and 7b. I'm thinking of moving across town soon, so that will probably dictate where plants end up.

Schultz orchid mix... that's exactly what I tossed in there. I didn't see any pumice though. The ingredients said bark, charcoal, and some kind of inert moisture-holding ceramic (similar to perlite or vermaculite I guess).

All the plant has to do to outgrow the tank is to put a leaf in front/back direction rather than left/right, and I'm screwed. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't the best place for highland N. truncata be.....the mountains of the Philippines?
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Sorry, could not resist.
    When you guys use the orchid mix, do you soak it or use it right out of the bag?

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used it out of the bag... but I don't know if I should have or not. I figure in 85% humidity it's going to get soaked soon anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all:

Griffin, i would agree with you 100%, but if you go to the phillippino mountains, there is massive and indiscriminate logging going around, that if the truncata highlands had brains, they would love to move out!.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Gus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12