What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ideal home for truncata highland?

I'm about to repot the only plant I have that's worth anything, a truncata highland, so I figured I might as well see what the most successful mix and pot might be from people with more experience than I.

So, what do you think? A heavy mix or a light one? What materials and ratios?

What sort of pot? A typical one or an airy one with holes/slats?

Replies from people who've grown them in different ways and saw different results would be most helpful... estimates and guesses may just get me mixed up.

Thanks in advance for whatever advice you can provide.

Howdy,

Light airy mix, I used coconut chips, sphagnum (chopped) lots of perlite and some peat in a small quantity.

I use one of the square wate lily baskets, wonderful aeration and superb drainage.

Pretty easy to grow species and relatively fast growing for N. truncata.

I grow mine in pure sphagnum, and they grow well. It depends on your conditions - most of mine are grown outside, so the risk of rotting or stagnation is almost non-existent. Availability of material will also vary - as long as it's free draining, holds moisture and is acidic, it should be fine.

I live in Italy and I have my truncata Highland in a Terrarium.
Use 50% Bark or Coconut Chips and 25% Perlite and 25% Peat.
This works Fine!
Bye!

Mr_Aga

Well, the deed is done. An open pot (got to use my cool orchid baskets) and an airy mix (a lot of LFS, a little peat, a little orchid bark, a little charcoal, a little perlite).

Took a quick picture just for the heck of it:
29chamber.jpg

It's in a 29 gallon tank, and as you can see the next leaf is going to cause some trouble. It's stretching spread-eagle almost across the entire length of the tank (pitcher forming behind the cobra lily... hopefully a big one). I may be forced to just take it out of the tank completely in a month or two.

Your plants are looking good endparenthesis.

The space keeps getting bigger and bigger and it's all your fault for reminding me I like these things.
smile_n_32.gif

Don't Talk to me Dude : when I received my Terrarium on the 16 October I had inside 7 Nepenthes.
Now I have only 3 because of the growing space becoming less and less.
My Sanguinea makes now leafs that are 25 cm long!They go from one side of the terrarium to the othr side!It is amazing.
My truncata will need always more space...I know...she is just young now....
I had traps of about 12 cm (about 5 inches).

still too small. That baby gets three feet around.

Hey endparenthesis, where do you live (state)? You may be able to grow it outside for the growing season until you can find a better grow chamber for next winter. It shouldn't out grow that tank in the next two months (I don't think).

I plan on growing mine outside. High summer may proove difficult, because we really don't have cool nights in July (end of June/beginning of Aug, too), but my hamata and arisolochioides made it with flying colors, so I'm not too worried.

Oh, I grow mine in about 2/3 LFS and 1/3 Schultz orchid mix (bark, charcol, pumice, whatever else they have tossed in there). Growing like a champ. Not as big as yours yet, though. Can't wait!

I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure yet. If it was outdoors I would think I'd need a better water collection method, as it would probably need a lot (even more now that it's in an airy pot). I live in VA, on the edge of zone 7a and 7b. I'm thinking of moving across town soon, so that will probably dictate where plants end up.

Schultz orchid mix... that's exactly what I tossed in there. I didn't see any pumice though. The ingredients said bark, charcoal, and some kind of inert moisture-holding ceramic (similar to perlite or vermaculite I guess).

All the plant has to do to outgrow the tank is to put a leaf in front/back direction rather than left/right, and I'm screwed.
smile.gif

Wouldn't the best place for highland N. truncata be.....the mountains of the Philippines?
smile_n_32.gif

Sorry, could not resist.
When you guys use the orchid mix, do you soak it or use it right out of the bag?

Cheers,

Joe

I used it out of the bag... but I don't know if I should have or not. I figure in 85% humidity it's going to get soaked soon anyway.

Hi all:

Griffin, i would agree with you 100%, but if you go to the phillippino mountains, there is massive and indiscriminate logging going around, that if the truncata highlands had brains, they would love to move out!.

smile_n_32.gif

Gus

Back