What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Idea for a single highland nep

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
Hey all,
Ok; I was thinking, Could you grow a "hardy" highland in the window during day and put in fridge at night? I know it sounds dumb but I am just wondering if something soo simple could actually work or be an effective way to grow 1 or 2?

What do you think?
Joe

I'm not sure why you would need to do this with a hardy highlander, but if that's how you get your kicks, I don't see why you couldn't. As long as the temps in the fridge don't get below the indicated temps for the plant, I don't see a problem - you'd probably get nice nighttime humidity that way too. I'm not sure I'd want to go through the effort myself :)
Have fun!
~Joe
PS - I dig your "War is Gods way of teaching Geography" ;o

I've been growing a N. villosa and N. macrophylla that way for over a year. By day under lights, at night into the dorm sized fridge (with the snacks). So far, so good. Both plants were very small when I received them. I have the N. villosa in a 3 inch pot, inside one of those acrylic cubes that other CPs are sometimes sold in.

Joe, a "hardy" highlander does fine in most ppls normal house hold temps. i am growing and pitchering bongso, highland veitchii, sibuyanensis and macfarlanei in my kitchen with only minimal adjustments made to increase humidity. my kitchen never gets below 60 and quite often hits 90 in the winter due to a strong south sun coming through a sliding glass door near where my Nepenthes sit(air conditioning and closed curtains means my house is normally cooler during the day in summer than winter) other than the ultrahighlanders or an expensive plant depending on species you may not need any special considerations for temps.

Creative idea! Isn't the humidity in a fridge rather too low? You might have to put it in a plastic container with some water.

I've grown my highlanders like window plants in plastic bags all winter in the summer I might need to try the fridge, temps drop rapidly here at night, but not very low in the summer

Back