Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cultivating neps.

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I struggle with this on and off. I do know of several ways of getting high-humidity plants through terribly dry winters but then get board and try something a little more elaborate then it fails and I start over again. I am not sure if anyone has killed as many as I have. I seem to think everything is epiphytic and try growing it as such and most despise my efforts and die to teach me a lesson.

I used a Rubbermaid for a while with great results. I gotta tell ya though, You absolutely need artificial light. With a container like them you can't possibly let enough light in without direct sun and a completely open top. If you put a top on then they cook if you leave it off they sunburn. You need the Rubbermaid, a sheet of glass or Plexi, airpump (for Aqs')with line, Aq heater, a grate that is a couple inches high, and artificial light source. Theres variations and some will argue this or that but whatever....

1) Drill hole in side of tub for airline to fit snugly.
    2) Stick airline in to hole, make sure it is reasonably air tight.
    3) Put grate into bottom.
    4) Fill with RO water 1 or 2".
    5) Arrange plants on grate.
    6) Put glass or PLexi over the top, allowing a slight opening at one end. (This and the airline will make a light cirrculating current of air)
    7) Put your lights on top.

Better luck,
    Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Joe. I will be more technological after the summer is over. Apparently, what I have left over must be the fittest.

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I don't think there is a way around the algae that'll form in your water.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12