What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting better

Hi
After getting a very sickly N. lowii last year, which ended up looking like this:
smile_k_ani_32.gif

sick%20lowii.jpg

After many months of TLC it is now at last producing its first pitchers.
smile.gif

well%20lowii.jpg

And hopefully when summer finally arrives it can really put on some growth.
Patience is the greatest healer for Neps I find..
smile_m_32.gif

cheers

bill

That's wonderful! Good work, Bill. Looks lke you have the touch.

Very nice! The new leaves are looking just fine.

Patience is indeed very important. That and proper care.. What exactly else did you do to it, if anything? It appears in the first photo like it has leaf spot disease. It takes a long long time for damage to be undone on some of these slower growing species.

Tony

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Mar. 06 2005,10:06)]Very nice!  The new leaves are looking just fine.  

Patience is indeed very important.  That and proper care..  What exactly else did you do to it, if anything?  It appears in the first photo like it has leaf spot disease.  It takes a long long time for damage to be undone on some of these slower growing species.

Tony
Hi Tony,
Yes the leaves were very soft and brown when I got it. This was compounded by an attack from mites.
After repotting I used a acaricide on it carefully till the mite infestation was under control. During this time I had it in my grow cabinet which was more humid and had a more controlled temp range. But since Christmas it has been with the rest of my highland neps in the greenhouse.
I lost two of my three N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana which went the same way as the lowii and a ovata was equally affected. Now the ovata & remaining N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana are looking good. Though the ovata still has yet to pitcher.
Its a very fine line between losing or saving a sickly nep but very rewarding when you do rescue it.
smile.gif

cheers

bill

Back