What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Epiphytic hardcore lowland

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
I am starting with my chamber and I need a Nep that is true lowland (tank is 75-80deg F.and 85%+humidity at all times with frequent short bursts of rain) I really would like it to be Epi but not a must. Also I don't want bical, something else it must be. It also can't have monster pitchers space will not permit 12" pitchers anywhere in its future. Also its medium light levels.

Tell me, Who should I put in the tank?
Joe

veitchii is a lowlander epp.

Why would you need a hot, humid lover in trees? Must be the moth thing.
biggrin.gif

really, you could in theory grow any nepenthes as an epiphyte (sp?). if you keep the substrate moist enough and use the right kind, and plant them the right way. with a little planing it could be done.you could even make holes in wood and disguise it as an eppiphytic planting.

Yeah, I kinda didn't realize what I typed until afterwards. You know what I meant but it didn't print well.

I'm looking for something small like N. belleii, or ampullaria.

Joe

Can't resist a good tease or a bad pun! No doubt y'all have fun with mine. Capensis has an 's' in it.

Try gracilis. Easy to get and grow. And although the pitchers might not be spectacular, the whole plant can be very eye catching, once it has numerous growth points and pitchers. Fun also, if you like pruning
smile_m_32.gif

i would try an amp. thats just because its my favorite lowlander and it seems to fit your bill. im not sure if the lowland veitchii grows in a simmilar fasion to the highland but if it does it wouldnt be too bad. it gets good sized pitchers but not huge ones, the mature pitchers i saw on a rather large 20 year old highland specimen were around 10 inches tall IIRC, far smaller than the huge truncata that was near by. the leaves are short and squat(in the highland version i grow atleast)

If you are looking for small lowlander, and one that grows on cliffs in Nature fits the bill, you might consider N. campanulata.

Cheers,

Joe

What about N. mirabilis? The only problem I could see with it is having the medium dry out. The Savage Garden says N. albomarginata, N. hirsuta, and N. reinwardtiana are good candidates, and specificially cites the latter as an epiphyte.
So have you started building yet, Joe? What else do you have for your tank? I'm very curious.
~Joe

Well,
It is started as of right now, I have some kind of delicate epi-fern, Phalaenopsis hybrid, Rhipsalis quellembambensis, Sedum ? (creeping ground cover). I have 2 trades all setup and then I'll have:
Cryptanthus, Seliginella uncinata (sp?, mossy lookin fern), 3 species of true epi-moss, Tillandsia cyanea, Epidendrum ?, Oncidium ?
All these are or will be epiphytic in the tank - nothing in the bottom, all are totally epiphytic. I am partial ampullaria (especially tayeve form
smile_m_32.gif
Josh )

Joe

Back