What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gunung kenan

• Thread starter Pyro
  • Start date

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
Anyone know where Gunung Kenan is and what Nep species can be found there? Specifically at around 2800m? I have a friend with an unknown Nep whose tag says it is from there...

I couldn't find any information on such a mountain.  Perhaps their info is incorrect or misspelled slightly?

Indonesia places

Is it possible you mean Gunung Kelam, the famous home
of N. clipeata?

Actually, I believe that's "Kalimantan".

Ooops, you're right. It is! Thats why your name is neps.

Joe

I scanned a few texts on Nepenthes and cannot find references to Gunung Kenan. If it's 2800 meters, and a Nepenthes habitat, it would certainly seem significant.
I agree with Jeff about the "Kelam"- simple misspelling on a tag...However, Gunung Kelam is hardly 2800 meters (isn't it about 900 meters at its highest point?) Other than clipeata, I think the other species found are rafflesiana, reinwardtiana, and gracilis.
But then again, maybe there really is a Gunung Kenan.

Maybe you can get some pictures of the plant? That could help narrow down where it was from.
Tony

I can pop a couple pics of the plant this weekend and see about getting them on here sometime next week but it is still pretty small. I can say that it is without a doubt NOT clipeata.

The possible misspelling of Kelam was mentioned but as Trent observed it is nowhere near 2800m

Hi.
Could it be a typo for Gunung Kemiri in north Sumatra?
Oliver Marthaler collected seed of an unidentified Nep there in 1996 at between 2600 and 2900m.
I've seen the resulting plants sold as Nepenthes nova Kemiri.

It might be - the species found by Olivier is reputed to belong to the singalana/diatas/densiflora complex.

Hamish

Okay, here are the pictures I promised but I don't know how much good they will do. For reference the pot is a 3.5"

The plant
P3120007.JPG

A bit closer to show a leaf and pitcher
P3120010.JPG

The "stem"
P3120011.JPG

And a pitcher
P3120009.JPG

Hmm not much to look at yet pitcher wise. The plant certainly looks like something in the N. densiflora group though.

Tony

Back