Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Veitchii and bongso

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome back Troy! Just goes to show you how hard taxonomy can be and the difficulty in drawing too many conclusions based on a few easily observable similarities! There are however many many features taxonomists use to help distinguish between species. The majority between N. veitchii and N. bongso are not similar. The common ancestor question is interesting but it is also possible that Nepenthes from different regions evolved independently as opposed from diversifying from one ancestor...

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm gonna stand way out on a limb and say it is N. macrovulgaris. Course (I am probably terribly wrong.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um, my guess is N. singalana. I am just going on by what the pitcher looks like to me-I don't have enough experience to use leaf shapes, lol.
    Besides, my N. spathulata(I could go look at the leaves of it, I guess) is pretty typical of what I have seen and the pitchers are green with this peristome color.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. singalana is a good guess. Although it could be some sort of N. densiflora or N. diatas. I would go with that also. The tendril attachment is not correct for N. spathulata. The leaf margins on my N. spathulata don't connect at the tip and give it that peltate look in the photo.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well unfortunatly I do not have a whole bunch of Neps and of the ones that I do have few are out of the "seedling pitcher" range even though they maybe fairly large. So I could not help you excpet to say if you did some minor changes and colored it dark red that could be a N. spathulata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a winner, or "winners" as the case may be.
    Well done Joe and Tony.
    Joachim - sorry but I too thought it was spathulata when I took this picture but Charlie thinks it is singalana, and I am not about to argue with the guy that wrote the book.

This was taken in a swamp at about 1,700m asl, the tree was about 1.5m from the ground and I was slowly sinking up to my knees in mud which is why the plants are at such a strange angle. I had nothing solid to put my tripod on. The same location is also quite well endowed with aristolochioides but this ISN'T Mt Tujuh!

Anyway, this all illustrates the point I was trying to make very well.
    The west/ central sumatran species are a moras of similarities and from ovata in the north down to sing, bongso, carunculata, izumiae and spath in the south they all almost get mixed up with each other and this plant, for example, had everyone scratching their heads for a while.

Cheers, Troy.

PS Hi Tony, I have been busy for a bit but hope I will be back in more often, at least while I am home. I am travelling quite a lot these days.
    Off to Java and Sumatra again on Wednesday for a week or two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So do Tony and I win a "Jungle Geeks" Vacation?

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Have fun in Java and Sumatra. Find a new one and name it after yourself..."N. fatboyii....."
    Well, maybe you better use your real name.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow - so you found another locality for N. aristilochiodes? That is fabulous news for the survival of the species and made my day!

Rich

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast