What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feed a nepenthes

Can I feed my plant fish food if the pitcher is only a inch long. I would like to feed myplant.

I feed koi pellets to my neps sometimes. You could do it, but just give it a TINY piece.

Capslock

every time a new pitcher is open I drop in one squished waxworm. I find its easier for them to digest if its skin is slightly ripped or broken.

I just let em' wing it, and i drop in anything i find crawling around the house. I suppose it would work though. I used to use pillbugs to feed my neps when they were indoors.

so TS yours are outside? Thats awesome that way they can do it them selves.

I forgot to mention I passively feed my campanulatas fruit flys. What I do is get a bannana and leave it in the back yard for a few days, sometimes I forget about it for alittle to long. Then I place the fruit in my grow chamber and let the flys hatch and do whatever. I Then notice that they only go my campanulats and my smaller pitchers that I can't feed waxworms to. I'd imagine this would work rather well for people with sundews.

Crickets crickets crickets. I have only killed a very few pitchers with over feeding. Just try to size the cricket to the pitcher. It should not take up more than 1/8 or so the total pitcher volume. I have cheated on that a few times, sometimes ok, sometimes not. Killed a jacquelenae pitcher with a cricket about 1/3 the pitcher volume....silly, silly Schloaty

We got bloodworms that were frozen so I did a little piece in my pitcher. We could not get any crickets but we will get some next time we go to the pet store we will get some. thank you,

Hi
Ive just started feeding my larger neps dried whitebait will have to see if i notice any major inprovements.
Bye for now Julian

I use waxworms they seem to respond to them well.

I wouldn't worry too much. Soon you will be able to catch ants outside. They make very good food.

I give my ventricosa a drop of whole milk once a month.

I find that fruit flies are the best food all around for my CP's. You can buy "flightless" fruit flies at a local pet store (usually in the reptile area). They work great!
biggrin.gif

..You can? Never seen them at the pet shop I go to.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FlytrapGurl @ Mar. 18 2005,4:36)]..You can? Never seen them at the pet shop I go to.
Yea. You can
confused.gif

I got some crickets but they are gone in the house and they didn't stay in the pitchers when I put them inthere and now one of my pitchers is broke because it wouldn't stay in there.. I then got some fruit flys and they are under a cup and they won't go inside the ptichers and they are coming out from under my cup. My cat ate a cricket but I need the plant to eat one. I can't pull legs off a cricket to make it not move so i maybe need more ideas before we get to get ants.

well if the cricket is able to escape you are probly feeding the pitcher a rather large cricket. try half of a cricket or buy "pinheads" they are small freshly hatched crickets that are easily digested.

You can pull legs off with out too much damage.
biggrin.gif
Never thought I'd get to say that.

Joe

There has got to be a better way than pulling legs off a live cricket. Can't one just stick a cricket in a baby food jar and stick it in the freeer for about an hour or so?  Does a Nep really care if the cricket is dead and freshly dethawed or live and kicking and doing damage down in the pitcher?  What about those wax worms, somebody mentioned those. They sound like a viable option.

Laura-movement stimulates the release of digestive enzymes and acids.

Back