What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes mutant

i got this guy from a do-it-yourself store (Fred Myers maybe?) because it had strange leaf formations and about a billion growing points jammed onto three main growth vines. i wanted to see if it would dwindle in time or what not. anyway, it's been well over a year and it just keeps getting stranger. any idea as to what would be the cause of this pitcher? almost all are like this, as time passes the plant just sends out bigger strange pitchers. tissue culture mess up? i can provide more pictures of it's never ending oddness. he has been growing well on my windowsill the entire time i've had him, good light, lots of growth.
unknown01.jpg

LOL! I had one of those! It is a genetic mutant, and it will not thrive, but simply wind down and degenerate. I finally ditched mine. This plant is the result of sloppy TC and shouldn't be propagated!

Here's mine:
N_x_Home_Depot4.sized.jpg

Capslock

I would say you have already guessed it- TC mutations galore.
The funny thing is(somebody correct me if I'm wrong) with the exception of variegation, Nepenthes mutations are frowned on for the most part. Now if ithat happens with a flytrap, it's the best thing in the world!

Cheers,

Joe

I have one of those as well, except its not as mutated, I'm thinking of torching it with my homemade flame thrower. Although I may not since I have some sentimental attachment to it since it was my very first nep I ever bought.....but I could just say the two neps I got after that were my real first neps since those were actuall species.

My first Nep is, too, a mutant (also from Fred Meyer's.) It alternates between vigorous, healthy growth and boiling plant tumors. I keep it around for sentimental reasons, but even if I didn't feel particularly attached to it, I'd probably keep it because it's pretty interesting to grow. I haven't had any strange lids like that; mine most frequently produces failed shoots that have tiny, filiform tendrils about an inch long bristling from the tip.
~Joe

I will take any TC mutants they are neat looking. Even if they die in a little while thaty would be neat to grow.

Capslock, i see yours also looks sticky to touch. too bad it won't last long. i kinda like having a ghastly nepenthes, certainly unique.
no problems with failed shoots or tumors here. just no lids and smushed & bonded leaves, won't color up either like everyone else.
-julie

I HAD THAT UGLY WEED!!!!!!!!!!
It had a very odd growth pattern and died.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seedjar @ Mar. 15 2005,4:19)]My first Nep is, too, a mutant (also from Fred Meyer's.) It alternates between vigorous, healthy growth and boiling plant tumors. I keep it around for sentimental reasons, but even if I didn't feel particularly attached to it, I'd probably keep it because it's pretty interesting to grow. I haven't had any strange lids like that; mine most frequently produces failed shoots that have tiny, filiform tendrils about an inch long bristling from the tip.
~Joe
interesting, mine does the same exact thing. It will produce a pitcher that is quasi-decent then its next one will be horribly mishaped.

Yes i have the same freaky nep but it has had a lid on a pitcher before. Its waking up from its winter slow down so there should be more odd growth again this year.I should get rid of it really but it is a nep
smile.gif

Bye for now Julian

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seedjar @ Mar. 16 2005,1:19)]My first Nep is, too, a mutant (also from Fred Meyer's.) It alternates between vigorous, healthy growth and boiling plant tumors. I keep it around for sentimental reasons, but even if I didn't feel particularly attached to it, I'd probably keep it because it's pretty interesting to grow. I haven't had any strange lids like that; mine most frequently produces failed shoots that have tiny, filiform tendrils about an inch long bristling from the tip.
~Joe
hahahahah

Does anyone have a TC mutant to trade? PM me if you like common Drosera!

-D. Lybrand

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dlybrand @ April 15 2006,7:30)]Does anyone have a TC mutant to trade? PM me if you like common Drosera!

-D. Lybrand
hahaha! wow now it seems to be popular!

Contrary to popular affection for this plant

I love it...

and i have one!

Hey!  You are a VIP now!
You can tell to yourself to have really a RARE Nepenthes!
YOU WINNNNNNNNN!

Mr_Aga  
Milan - ITALY
laugh.gif

Back