What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ampularia vine pitchers...

An amp upper you dont see that everyday
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Bye for now julian

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Mar. 17 2005,4:17)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fatboy @ Mar. 16 2005,3:11)]This supposedly becomes fertiliser in the pitchers and prelim studies show that amp isn't particularly good at catching insects.
ive heard the leaf litter ferilizer theory and it seems to hold merrit to me. but on amps being poor insect catchers, ive got a speckled amp that usually catches more flies than my Drosera capensis (my other major fly catcher) so apperently it didnt get the memo
smile_n_32.gif
It's a theory with some solid evidence.  There's actually been a publication that showed from N isotopes (think it was, or P?) that the amps in the study got a large portion of that macronutrient from leaf detritus.  Considering how rarified it must be in the leaf litter, i find that an odd and fascinating adaptation.  Maybe the plant just decided to become a vegetarian for humanitation reasons (if that can be said of a plant).

Thanks for all the comments guys.  I wish that was my amp! ...  But, it's actually a plant owned by Richard Revis (proprietor of Black Jungle) that he brought to the 2nd Annual New England Carnivorous Plant Show.

Schloaty, amps almost always produce lowers from cuttings.  At least, every cutting Wild Bill has cranked out from his secret lab has lowers.  And that's a lot of cuttings.  My own speckled amp is from a cutting of his last year, and it is now a bit shy to pitcher, but is growing in low humidity.  It pitchered like crazy in the terrarium.  Maybe your plant needs more light and/or humidity?

Well, I sorta figured that it would still make lowers, I was looking for some confirmation before hacking one of my favorite plants. I guess the blade will come out tonight....BWAA HAAA HAAA HAAAAA

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Maybe your plant needs more light and/or humidity?

Not likely! It's in a terrarium, and pitchering like mad at the base...

Maybe I'll get some of those basal shoots to turn into vines by hacking the big one off....

I suspect so. Mine briefly put out basal pitchers, but when it got a bit dry the stress caused all of the shoots to start growing, so now there are four vines and no basal pitchers.

One comment from a small grower in Honolulu, Hawaii. N. ampullaria does develop upper pitchers, and very productively IF the tendrils come in contact with something to twirl around. Some people say that their N. Miranda once it gets tall doesn't form pitchers either. if the plant sends tendrils onto a subject, it quickly develops pitchers at the ends of the curling tendril. Mine all seem to have an upper pitcher at eact leaf when coming into contact with something to cling onto. Those tendrils that do not cling to something, doesn't develop anything.

Its is true what someone had mentioned earlier regarding that high humidity is required when pitchers develop on a node in mid air. I have also known N. ampullarias to grow even more wildly when the bottom of their pots and roots sit in a shallow pan of water.

Aloha,

Michael

Back