What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few nep pictures

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
Well I went a little camera happy today. All pictures taken tonight.

Here is my Nepenthes rafflesiana with a forming pitcher and an older pitcher. This plant is in a 6" hanging pot.

133nraf.jpg

Here is my Nepenthes 'ventrata' before the chop and after. This plant is in a 14" hanging pot.

133nventchop.jpg

And of course my favorite nepenthes, Nepenthes hamata. Each pitcher that it forms has larger teeth. I can not wait till the pitcher in the lower left hand corner opens up. This plant is in a 14" hanging pot.

133nhamata-med.jpg

Here is my Nepenthes bicalcarata which I started from seed last year. This plant is in a 3" pot.

133nbic1.jpg

And the last nep I own is a Nepenthes 'Emmarene'. I did not get a new picture of this plant because I have it growing at work. About a week ago it also recieved a chop job. This plant is also in a 14" hanging pot.

Looking good. I was wondering how your hamata was doing after it got settled in.

That bical is a cutie. Kinda small though. I wish my stupid rafflesiana would heal up and start growing. It's i pretty sad condition right now. I really LOVE the hamata. Mucho bush for the X Ventrata.

love the rafflensiana, that is always going to be one of my all time favorites.

my ventrata is starting to look like that. I even have uppers growing on it. It's not quite as tall as yours but I have a ton of basal shoots. Lots of new pitchers inflating right now. Maybe I'll get some pics up soon.

I have a ventrata that I'm just letting run wild for the heck of it.  It has lowers on the smaller vines, and uppers on the older ones.  I think, in the right conditions, this is a good nep to do this with as the pitchers can be rather long-lived.

Great pics! Love the hamata. Mine is still small. How did you get yours to get to big? Do these guys require larger pots to get larger plants (like bicals)? Do they need a lot of root space?

Nice job on the hamata. what is the humidity low, and high? how often do you water it? I gotta try that. Really nice clone. Looks like it's about to start vining.
Thanks for sharing.
Robin
smile.gif

Thanks for the comments.

endparenthesis,
Did you need a tissue when you saw the ventrata? LOL
I know what your reaction was the first time I posted a pic of it getting chopped.

schloaty,
I was fortunate when I purchased my plant it was a very nice size. I have seen pics of other people’s plants when they got their hamata and mine was much bigger.
As for pot size, I do not know. I do not keep many plants because I want to give them lots of room and with 14" pots it limits the number. I'd like to get my rafflesiana in a bigger pot, but I do not have room.

rlhirst,
The humidity fluctuates. So far reading have been around these:

Winter humidity: 30 - 50% (lower humidity in the day. Furnace does not run much, sunshines in the room where I grow the plants. I have a humidifier on my furnace set to around 48%)

Winter / Fall temps: I keep the house cool. Heat set to around 65 degrees. (Humidified air feels warmer then dry air) During the day it can hit mid 70's with the sun shinning in the room where I grow the hamata. Nights drop to around 64 degrees.

Spring / Summer / Fall humidity: 40 - high 80%. (Windows open and such)

Spring / Summer temps: I would say low 70's to mid 80's. (I usually have the A/C set around 73)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Mar. 17 2005,12:21)]endparenthesis,
Did you need a tissue when you saw the ventrata? LOL
I know what your reaction was the first time I posted a pic of it getting chopped.
I'm over it... you should see what I did to mine.
smile.gif
The pitchers were looking really rough from the low humidity winter, so I chopped off both vines to start fresh with basals.

Since one vine was over 3 feet long, it must have resulted in at least 40 single-leaf cuttings, now owned by other people.

I was thinking I missed a part on my earlier post.
rlhirst,
I water my CP's twice a week.

Thanks elgeko,
wow thats pretty a pretty tough hamata. 30%!? Well yours looks really healthy. I'm gonna try one of mine under similar conditions, ad see how it does.
Thanks again!
Robin

Back