What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N miranda

CP30

A Cajun(isc) Carnivore
I purchased a N. miranda at an orchid show last summer and kept outside in the shade during the hot humid summer of south Louisiana. Does anyone know if it could tolerate current conditions: 65 - 75F during the days dipping to the upper 40's to the more common mid 50's at night?
How about N. coccinea?
What about a truncata x maxima?

I have grown highland, lowland, and hrbrid neps together indoors for 2 years until I moved to Louisiana last year. I am concerned about "the right thing to do" after leaving my maxima borneo outside (in shade) through the hot part of the summer. It stayed 90+ day and night. It took a serious turn for the worse. It seems recuped now but I vowed to be more careful with all my neps.

Any advice would be helpful!

South Louisiana summers are brutal. Maxima and Truncata x maxima might sulk a bit during the summer, mainly because of the warm nights. High humidity is the key to pulling it through. Ours are happy with nights into the mid seventies, and we have a few different maxima plants that don't mind, but we keep the humidity as close to 80 percent as possible.
Your N. 'Miranda' will not mind the temps you mentioned, even tolerating dips into the upper 40's- as long as the humidity is maintained. Those cold front breezes are dry, and may contribute a wind chill factor, drawing moisture right out of the plant. The plant will survive, but look horrible as all the pitchers dissicate and leaf margins dry out. It's one thing to keep them alive, another to grow them to look good.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Trent @ Mar. 21 2005,7:51)]Ours are happy with nights into the mid seventies, and we have a few different maxima plants that don't mind, but we keep the humidity as close to 80 percent as possible.
Thanks for the advice. I do not have a greenhouse to protect the plants, but I plan to put up a fenced enclosure possibly covered with shade cloth, do you think this might protect the plants enough from the drying "cold" winds?
By the by, where are you growing maxima's - outside? or in a greenhouse? What area?

All our Neps are in a greenhouse. It's totally closed in during the winter months, and the plastic on the sides comes down for summer...all except the north side. The south side wall is 70 percent aluminet shadecloth. The "ends" (west and east) are the old standard 70 percent black shadecloth.

Back