What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can they be propagated this way?

Can Nepenthes be propagated by root cuttings Because I read that they can be.

Never tried, probably never will until someone else does it successfully.

Not that I am aware of, only stem cuttings and divisions of TCed plants work, and of course seed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dewy @ Mar. 23 2005,3:47)]http://www.cobraplant.com/3-nepenthes-judithfinn.html
This is the link to where they propagate their plants TC and root cuttings.
Highly unlikely, Nepenthes roots look like black fine hairs.

The Link did not list stem cutting, the most popular way for most of us,  as one of their method of propogation.

I think they have mis-worded stem as Root.

Maye they meant roots as tissue culture material? Now, would that work?

No. So far, mericloning Nepenthes has been an exercise in frustration, even though I've heard rumor of some recent breakthroughs. All tc'ed Neps are derived from seed.

I tried leaf with one of mine (the enymae hybrid) when I got it and one leaf fell off. It sent out inch long roots but recently fungus attcked and so I had to chuck it. I will try it again soon and let you know how it goes.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Flip_Side_the_Pint @ Mar. 22 2005,11:35)]nepenthes don't have rhizomes(sp)
What's this then?
confused.gif

http://www.hbs.ne.jp/home/s-yamada/Dsc04595.jpg

Thorelii, some mirabilis, anamensis (smilesii) and 'Viking' do have a rhizome like tuber that can be divided kinda like a Sarracenia. It is also interesting to note that the indo-china Neps do experience a dry season and a monsoon season.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Trent @ Mar. 24 2005,4:55)]Thorelii, some mirabilis, anamensis (smilesii) and 'Viking' do have a rhizome like tuber that can be divided kinda like a Sarracenia. It is also interesting to note that the indo-china Neps do experience a dry season and a monsoon season.
whoa thats crazy.

Do they experience a slow in growth or a "dormancy" ? I never knew this. So some neps have them and some don't? or do they all have them but they are less pronounced in more species?

Interesting thought there. It would seem that some neps do have a root system that resembles a rhizome. I have a N. ventricosa now, it has two offshoots, and it has a large root system, i can see it because my watering has washed the soil away from the base of the plant. It looks like a big ol'e chunk o root. I may give propogation a try via "rhizome"

We give our N. kampotiana a rest every winter. It naturally starts to die back. It looks like we've loosing the plant, but we then hold back on water and it looks terrible. Around February new ground shoots start up. We give it only enough water to for them to grow. By May, we treat it like all other lowland Neps. Clyde Bramblett recommended this treatment. He told us many people lost plants in winter by thinking they were dead or dying, and either overwatered or threw them out.
The thorelii's don't seem to need this dry spell, even though in nature it occurs. Our 'Viking's are just getting established, so we will wait to see. By the way, they are breaking new ground shoots along the length of the rhizomes.

Hi Trent,

Any chance you could post a pic of your Vikings? I know they can be quite variable, so it would be interesting to see what plants other growers have.

Thanks,
Nep_grower.

Fully intend to do that. They are just starting to kick in with the onset of spring. We're hoping by May to have some pitchers that really show individual characteristics-right now they are still a little juvenile looking.

thats really interesting of an old nepenthes.
smile_n_32.gif

Back