What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep cutting flowering!

I have a Nep cutting flowering right now! But there is a problem, it hasn't rooted yet. Should i remove the flowers, or let the cutting grow as is?

Flowering can be a sign of two things - a mature, happy healthy plant flowering as part of its life cycle, or it can be a sign that the plant is stressed, thinks it's going to die and is having a last ditch attempt to reproduce before quitting the mortal coil.

I would suggest that the flower is stress-induced, and that the cutting is putting all of its energy into the flower. I would strongly recommend to cut it off.

Hamish

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SydneyNeps @ Mar. 23 2005,12:58)]... or it can be a sign that the plant is stressed, thinks it's going to die and is having a last ditch attempt to reproduce before quitting the mortal coil.
Hi Hamish,

I've heared this theory quite often, but have you observed this with Nepenthes by your own?

Nepenthes need some months time from initiating a flower until it finally opens. - I believe often cuttings which flower had already started to produce the flower when the cutting was taken. And then there is no way to stop the flower.

Joachim

I've seen it once in a Nepenthes, although I've seen it numerous times with many other plant species.

In any event, regardless of the cause, cutting the flower off would be the best thing to do, as it makes the cutting put its energy into the roots rather than the flower.

Hamish

I had this happen with a relatively stressed N. maxima cutting. Here's a pic:
N_maxima_flower_2.sized.jpg

I didn't cut the flower off, and I believe it did set the cutting back as a result. It did not die, but is only now, about 5 months later, starting to grow normally.

Capslock

Maybe i should see someone with a N. truncata flowering. I think truncata x ventricosa would make a magnificient hybrid.
smile.gif

Truncata flowers are quite impressive and they can grow to over a metre in length. Truncata x ventricosa is a fairly common hybrid in most countries, it doesn't look too spectacular but is very easy to grow and throws out some huge pitchers.

I haven't seen it. Maybe ventricosa x burbidgeae.

Back