What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes seed

From the information I have found, certain types of mail are irradiated (heat-treated) by USPS, namely post sent to government offices. However, I also understand that any mail considered suspicious may also be irradiated. This may have been discontinued altogether, I don't know. I'm just relying on statements made on various US government websites.

I just find it odd that I sent tens of envelopes of seed all over the world last season, and every recipient has advised of germination, except the 5 persons in the US who all had 0% germination. That would tend to mitigate against the squashing theory, as there should be less geographic bias.

Hamish

I used to grow a lot of adenium hybrids before nepenthes. I have sent away to many places. Everyone who received seed of them arrived like oatmeal, sort of flattened and quashed. Its the roller system the USPS uses to sort mail. Anyone whose ever seen the inside of a post office knows that mail is rolled over and flattened to be read sorted then processed again by this rolling/pressing siorting system.

Example would be to send maybe sunflower seeds and see how it is received on the other US recipient. They will all say that they received flattened oatmeal when they open their mail!

From experience.

Michael

I hadn't heard of the roller treatment. At least it should be easily surmountable. The next batches of excess seed I send out I'll put in bubble wrap. If that gets through OK I can send some rarer stuff.

How do you identify male/female seeds.In the wild here there are plenty.Maybe i should try northiana.
smile.gif

rbjong, uh, seeds do not have a gender, well they do but no one knows that sex the seedling will be until it flowers. Not sure what you're trying to say.

am confuse-Seeds,flowers and fruits.

After surfing thr' the net now i get the whole pix."for seed to be produced ,the pollen of a male flower from another plant must be transfered to female flower of another plant"

Does same plant produce female and male flowers?
smile_k_ani_32.gif

No, Nepenthes are dioecious, meaning that they are like humans, either male or female.

Biology 101 or should I say Botany?

Seeds may be male and female, not sure at what stage sex is determined is it in the seed, embryo gets a choice or do the environment play a role in sex determination. If we grow them warmer will they produce more males or opposite? If they grow wetter is it a better chance for females?

But as for breeding you need a male and a female for seed to happen. Some plants are productive (N. Rokko), others not so (N. Miranda).

Michael

Hi,
since we are all talking about flowers and fruit and seed, I thought I might pop another Question. As we all know, the flowers come up as sprays and there are many individual flowers on each spray/inflorescence. When pollinated, each female flower enlargens and becomes a fruit, with many seed in each fruit. SO heres the question: Are all seeds in the fruit genetically identical? Since one pollen grain ShOuLd (I am not so sure at this point) pollinate 1 female flower?
Thanks

Each seedpod that develops behind a flower may contain many seeds. This is because many grains of pollen become attached to the stigma of the female flower. Each seed is unique. Typically, on one female flower inflorescence, you have hundreds of seed produced, each capable of germinating into a unique seedling. All the seedlings resulting from an individual male pollinating an individual female is called a grex-they are the brothers and sisters of the same parents.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RainforestGuy @ Sep. 05 2005,4:25)]Seeds may be male and female, not sure at what stage sex is determined is it in the seed, embryo gets a choice or do the environment play a role in sex determination. If we grow them warmer will they produce more males or opposite? If they grow wetter is it a better chance for females?
Heh, talk about tortises...
smile_m_32.gif

Lam, I don't think each stigma is pollinated by only 1 pollen grain. Many pollen grains enter through pollen tubes in the style of the stigma, each containing 1 gamete. In each gamete the genes combine differently (recombination or whatever), thus producing genetically different offspring/seed. I would think neps needed more variation than 1 type/fruit to tough it out in the wild...
smile_m_32.gif

Guess what I'm doing in Bio right now...
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Hello to everyone!
I succed in crossing my female Nepenthes with another male one.
Man...having little seedling is really not so easy! After 30 days I got my first borning plant! The other are for the moment non visible!
Here...I post a photo.
Some seeds are overtaken by fungus attacks!  
smile_h_32.gif

Bye!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

seed_ventrata_first_2leafes.jpg

and here a fungus attack...

seed_ventrata_fungus_attack.jpg

Hello to all!
After 4 months I want to show all how my Nepenthes seed looks like!
I have another plant...that is not so fast. Another died alone without any reason.
Managing little seedlings is reallly delicate!
I have noticed that there are between the same seedlings..some plants that grow much faster than others...!
I remember you all that this is a ventrata crossed with ventricosa pollen!
Bye!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

ventrata_x_ventricosa.jpg

very cool

I have read alot about temps for nep seed germination. Does this vary between highland and lowland types? What is the proper range(s) for germination? Are periodic peaks to 100F+ too high? I keep the seed between 83F and 102F using a reptile heat mat that cycles on/off every couple of hours.

I don't think seed needs to be kept THAT hot. I recommend just above 70F 73-75F would be ideal. You don't want to cook your seeds so I would avoid over 100 unless you're germinating cacti!

Well, I figured it gets close to 100F in natural habitats, but then I don't know what natural germination %'s might be. This could explain my low % with some seed and higher with others.....

Nepenthes rajah seed

Anyone out there have any experience or horticulturual "know-how" regarding Nepenthes rajah seeds?

Back