What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ODE to TONY

Don't forget Nepenthes Gracilis is only 17...that qualifies him as a kid in my book, and he's doing okay, lol. Of course, I have two little girls, no boys, and my wife says she has three kids.
Anyhow, the way Tony split, I got the impression he wasn't going to read posts, so begging him here to come back here might not get his attention.
Dustin, you have more contact with him then most of us..how is he doing?

Cheers,

Joe

A mature kid Joe
smile_n_32.gif
biggrin.gif

Well........I figured someone would ask me to spill the beans, so here goes.

I did indeed chat with Tony and he is well. The taxes for the year really have him worked up, as that would do to anyone, and he has calmed down alot. I will not say what his decision is, to come back and no longer be a moderator, or come back, or leave altogether. I do not speak for him and cannot make up his mind, although some people would like that to be true! But he has not vanished off the face of the earth. Perhaps he just needs some time to chill, have a beer or two and just have some collective thinking time.

True, but 17 is pretty much past the silly drama and Mr. gracilis is the babysitter not the babysat........so to speak.

I think I am irritating some people with my reference to kids as oppose to members in general.

Joe

Yeah,some of the stuff that is posted in the general discussions does get out of hand and is a waste of space.

Jerry

I'll bet one of the reasons Tony left is because he is tired of people pm'ing him to death begging for cuttings of his plants every time he posts photos of them. It's the single most reason I will never post photos or a grow list of my Sarracenia collection. Just simple word of mouth has innundated me with irritating 'demands' for pieces of my plants for either personal reasons or the National Collection. What National Collection.

Yes folks it's true. Some of us already HAVE a national collection, several times over; and a collection that would make ANY botanical garden or Mike King weep with envy. Hell...they call US for divisions of our plants. Remember...Sarracenia are native to OUR backyard. But we are destined to keep this information private because of the selfishness of so many of the forum members. And, the constant drivel that surfaces on these thread pages is driving us to make these decisions to leave.

Aside from the humorous side of reading most all posts, there is nothing for growers like us to learn here. Lord knows there's more worthless junk here than it's worth. Our only reason for staying on is to casually help out the beginner who has something of an educated question, one that typically can't be answered by reading a book. Or by offering up a few plants for trading or freebies.

And speaking of the trade threads, another of Tony's pet peeves, who wants to listen to the relentless childish whinning of who didn't get a piece. But when we DO feel generous, how about trading or selling plants to someone on this list who can write like they're the most intelligent and interesting collector or grower and you agree to alow them to visit your private nursery only to have them show up at your house with the personality of a wet dish rag and not know a thing about cp's or care less about your collection to boot. Let's see...what was the most interesting thing this person said in his/her monotone voice..."you have a lot of plants!" I would have had a more interesting time pulling Oxalis out of the bogs.

In a nut shell, Tony is tired of the bs. As are many of us. But some of us still linger on with the hopes of meeting a new friend or two. It happens, albeit rarely. I can attest to that of my new friends PDX and LauraZ5. They're inteligent and mature and are entitled to anything in my collection they want. Yes...even my rare PURE white leuco. So there's my rant. I don't miss Tony on this forum because I can call him anytime I like and I can hold a conversation with him that would keep him interested. And I wouldn't beg him for plants nor make him feel like his time was a collosal waste even if I visited him personally. Tony will be missed here but he made the right decision because it was HIS decision and I respect that and so should you. Leave the man alone!

Thanks all for the support from both sides of the fence LOL. Go easy on eachother gang! Modding gets very tiring at times for sure. That aside I do enjoy helping people learn, when they are willing.

I am still popping in occasionally for now...

Happy Easter all.

Tony

Yay! Tony's back!

PAR-TAY!

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif
smile.gif

I live by this property: those who ask before i offer shall never recieve.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] It's the single most reason I will never post photos or a grow list of my Sarracenia collection.

Phil, that is really to bad. though i understand perfectly about where your coming from. ive only recieved PMs about 3 specific plants after posting pics, my U. aureomaculata(about 3 PMs), my N. 'Ile de France'(1 PM) and my striped N. veitchii(2 PMs). even though im not much of a Sarr guy i would love to see pics of your plants. i think im at 7 different ones and thats probably all im getting. they take up window space that i would generally rather put a Drosera in. but i still like looking at other ppls Sarrs.

i do get pms about Utric divisions on a fairly regular basis(2-3 times a week give or take). thats not at the "bugging me" stage yet. im at 40 some pots of Utrics and Genlisea so if i posted everytime i had a division it would be a daily thing for the "weedy types". and generally with these its some newbie asking for an easy to bloom species of my choice, they arent asking for G. filliformis, U. aureomaculata, U. pauliniae, or U. asplundii so no big deal, yet anyways. the guys and gals on here who have a "history" with me do ask for stuff on occation and for these ppl ill bend over backwards to get them a piece of a plant.

i think i would blow my top to if everyone asked for a division or a cutting everytime i posted a pic of a plant. but since that hasnt happened yet so i will continue to show off my plants.

Glad your going to stick around Tony!!

laugh.gif

Everyones posting vents then Tony finally says Happy Easter and everyone's like
blues.gif

I don't have many plants of any concern to most people on here but if I had a large collection of anything and people pestered me for freebies then I'd blow a gasket too. It is a shame that spectacular plants can't be shown for fear of bombardement by bums..........
smile_h_32.gif
confused.gif

Joe

GREAT!!
You don't have to mod anything here Tony, but your 2 cents is greatly appreciated, and of course the pics you post leave me biting my lip with jealousy! That should be reason enough to post now and then.
laugh.gif

Welcome back!

smile.gif

Tony left? ....I didn't even notice... o_O
Great poem kissaplant! Loved it! ^_^

Welcome back Tony!

see if you never post picts of your plants
smile_n_32.gif

Tony was gone? Wow I miss alot by not being on in a few days! I`m sure glad he`s back!
happy34.gif

TONY!!!!!! PAR-TAY!!!! *dances around like an idiot*

Back