What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Temperature control?

How do people here control the temperature of their growing areas?

I just got a highland Nepenthes, and would like to provide it with proper conditions. I would need a small refrigeration or AC unit and a thermostat, so I can get night time temps down below 65, especially in the summer. I'm in Houston, and even with AC, in August it is very hard to get my house below 75 deg F.

That's tought. NepG said that ice packs around the plants are okay. Misting a LOT is also recommended.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TunaSurprise @ Mar. 25 2005,11:47)]That's tought. NepG said that ice packs around the plants are okay. Misting a LOT is also recommended.
I was hoping there might be miniature AC units designed for terrariums...

No, even if they did it'd cost you some buckeroonies. At least...I've never seen a mini AC unit for sale before. I wouldn't buy one anyways, they lower humidity at night, which is undesirable for highlanders. Stick to ice and a few spritz of water every night, that'll keep humidity high and temps low. I grew N. rajah this way for about 2 and a half years.

I'll give it a try. Perhaps I ought to stick to lowlanders for the time, though, until I see how i do with this highlander...

You could, if willing to spend the $$, build a enclosure to work with that small fridge. I tried to talk to some of the local pop companies to find out howmuch a condenser from a used pop can machine would be, and they quoted me $250!!!
For that kind of money, one could almost get a box freezer and convert it into a highland chamber like Jeff Shafer did.

Cheers,

JOe

Back