What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easy neps to grow?

I assume all the lowland Neps are relatively easy to grow, and fue to the temperature requirements, the highland neps are harder, especially for me, here in Houston. In the summer, I can't keep my house below 70-75 deg F, even at night.

So, my question is: Are there any picky lowland species I may want to stay away from, and are there any highland species that are fairly tolerant of higher temps?

I know NepG has recommended using ice packs and misting, but I prefer to create an environment inside a growth chamber that doesn't require a lot of additional babysitting.

well lowlanders can be easy but I think the key is consistancy. I would stay away from northiana, bicalcarata, veillardii, merriliana, and campanulata. Those like lots of humidity and my experiecne suffer greatly if it drops even for a few hours. My bical and camp seem to be most effected by humidity drops. I was cleaning the chamber out one day and left the door open for maybe a max of 4 hours. The next day my bical and my camp dropped a pitcher each. The bical suffered the most and is still recovering. Merriliana and northiana seem to like the consistancy the most. It took my merriliana almost two months to even think about pitchering. I've notced that just moving their pots around causes a slow in growth for about a week

As far as easy low landers I would say get some hybrids to start off with.

N. northiana can be extramly picky about humidity as is N. bicalcarata. i wouldnt get these unless you can insure constant high humidity. good ones to try would be N. ampullaria, graclilis and many many hybrids. N. x ventrata, although a highland hybrid is very adaptable though kinda bland in my opinion. N. xMiranda is also a very showy hybrid that will probably do well. if you can find 'Ile de France' i highly recomend it. personally i find low elevation highlanders far easier than true lowlanders. N. bongso and a highland form of N. veitchii are thriving in my house with lil extra effort from me. basically decide what your most interested in that you can provide fairly close conditions for and go for it.

Stay away from northiana. Bical has been hardier for me than the above give credit for. Truncata will be great. Albomarginata, reinwardtiana, lowland forms of alata, ventricosa (highland), should all do well.

I don't know why so many people scream "stay away from N. northiana". It really isn't that hard if you know how it grows in the wild, and most importantly, leave the dang thing alone. I have one and sure, its reluctant to pitcher, but it grows and is alive at least. Plus, its the spring, not really its playtime yet. But for N. northiana, general rule of thumb, remember, humid and shady.

How does N. northiana compare to N. sumatrana for pickiness? I don't have the former, but the latter is going crazy on me! I was wondering if I should try a N. northiana....

Cheers,

Joe

I think people say stay away from Northiana because it hates being moved and isn't that fast of a grower sometimes. There for people may move it arond or change its conditions around to often since they think its not happy. Doing that makes it stop over and over again. To the point where it either dies or they don't want the plant anymore. I'm just speculating.

Thanks all for the advice.

I have had N. miranda and N. coccinea for almost a year, and they've done very well. Especially the N. coccinea; it prolifically produces pitchers. The N. miranda has only produce 2-3 new pitchers in the same time. I have them in my house, at typical AC household humidity levels.

I also ordered from PFT (but not yet recieved) N. rafflesiana and N. ventricosa.

I got for free (as a gift for a book oder that was late) a N. ephippiata.

From Black Jungle I also ordered N. bicalcarata (maintaining high humidity won't be a problem. What temperature range does this one tolerate?) and N. ampullaria.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Mar. 26 2005,1:50)]personally i find low elevation highlanders far easier than true lowlanders. N. bongso and a highland form of N. veitchii are thriving in my house with lil extra effort from me.
What other species fall into this category?

N. bicalcarata can take nothing but hot hot hot hot temps! Keep the temperatures in the high eightys to ninetys in the day time and down to around 65-70F at night. lots and lots of humidity is also a must.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ Mar. 27 2005,4:44)]N. bicalcarata can take nothing but hot hot hot hot temps! Keep the temperatures in the high eightys to ninetys in the day time and down to around 65-70F at night. lots and lots of humidity is also a must.
Oh, then it will be a perfect candidate for my top shelf!

My growth chamber has 4 usable shelves; the top one has the highest temps and humidity; the temps are too much for some plants, so I really don't have anything growing up there.

It's 90-ish during the day (when the lights are on), and 70-ish at night. 50%+ humidity (may be higher... I don't really trust the hygrometer in there now.)

get an electronic hygrometer. i dont think 50% is optimum, if enough at all.

I think bical could be ok in 50% IF it is consistently 50% not higher or lower. Higher is better but if it is jumping up then it must also drop back to 50% which the drop is what it hates.

Joe

Its true that the n. merilliana is a total pain in the neck. -_-
I've had that plant for almost a year and that THING doesn't even wanna' pitcher! x_x It pisses me off everytime it produces a new leaf and nothing comes out of the tip except an uggly tendril. Man, if I weren't so caring I would burn the entire pot and flush the ashes down the toilet after using it. Oh well, might as well be patient and wait another 5 years or so...crap.

Back