What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photos

Hi Everyone,
Here are a few recent pics.

N.%20veitchii%20lowland%203-20-05.JPG

N. veitchii lowland

N.%20merrilliana%203-18-05.JPG

N. merrilliana

N.%20truncatas%20old%20and%20new%203-20-05.JPG

Two traps of N. truncata - one just opening and the other has aged with deeper color on the peristome.

N.%20trunc%20and%20trunc%20x%20veitch%203-20-05.JPG

The trap on the right is N. truncata x veitchii and the one on the left is N. truncata.

N.%20thorelii%20d%20purple%203-27-05.JPG

N. thorelii (d) purple

N.%20thorelii%20female%20uppers%203-26-05.JPG

N. thorelii (seedling #1- striped peristome female) upper traps

N.%20hookeriana%20seedling%201-18-05.JPG

N. hookeriana (lower pitcher)

N.%20hookeriana%20intermediate%203-20-05.JPG

N. hookeriana (intermediate pitcher)

N.%20hookeriana%20red%20upper%203-20-05.JPG

N. hookeriana (upper pitcher)

N.%20raff%20x%20veitchii%20-Manny's%203-19-05.JPG

N.%20raff%20x%20veitch%20Manny's%203-27-05.JPG

Two pitchers on the N. rafflesiana x veitchii (seedling #3) - one trap just opening and the other matured trap.

Michelle took these pics over the weekend.

Enjoy!

Trent and Michelle

awesome meriliana, that is a really good photo. I really like the vietchii. I've being in limbo if I should get one of those or something else as my next plant. I think you sold me on it. I'm buying one asap. Also do you find that the hookeriana is reluctant to grow uppers? The rafflesiana x vietchii is amzing as well I've never seen that plant before. All you photos are really nice. What kind of camera are you using to take these photos with?

WOW
Fantastic plants.have you many photos of your main growing area as that would be cool.

Bye for now julian

Wonderful Trent, just another reason for me to visit you and Michelle!
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Trent @ Mar. 27 2005,1:45)]Michelle took these pics over the weekend.

Enjoy!

Trent and Michelle
BEAUTIFUL plants, Trent!

What kind of setup do you have for growing them? Any pics of that?

Hi Everyone,
Jess, we have a Konica Minolta Dimage Z2 4.0 mega pixels.  But it's not the camera, it's the photographer.  Michelle keeps a careful watch for photo ops.  The lighting is very important.  What we really like to do is try to capture the personality of the plant, kind of like a portrait.  You want more than just a physical representation, but to get "Beneath the skin" and really capture what your "memory's eye" sees.  Not to sound too esoteric but it is the essentials of all good photography.  I have a background in fine art photography and have taught my wife Michelle basic concepts and she takes it from there; her own interpretation.  
The N. veitchii lowland forms are strong growers for us and can actually grow faster than hybrids sitting next to them!  We have a number of different individuals, and they always amaze us with the variety of color.
As for the hookeriana.  Our hookerianas are not reluctant to produce upper pitchers or lowers.  A mature plant is large.  The uppers are on vines easily four and a half feet tall.  
The N. rafflesiana x veitchii uses the famous raff 'Kondo' (with lowland veitchii as the male).  N. raff 'Kondo' produces huge pitchers with a lot of color.
Our setup is a small greenhouse in the backyard. With the help of my father and Michelle, we built it ourselves - and it's hurricane proof!  Here is a photo from the outside (it's an old photo - too dark to go out and shoot now).

Sarracenia%20and%20greenhouse%20view%208-30-04.JPG

The indside of the greenhouse is mostly Nepenthes, with a few orchids and other tropicals.  Here is a view down the south aisle (again, an old photo, we'll take another pic soon - the plants look better now).  
greenhouse%20view1%209-1-04.JPG

Glad you all enjoyed the photos. Feel free to ask any other questions.

How large is your N. merrilliana Trent?

Dustin,
Our N. merrilliana is about 20 inches across (give or take). Wish the traps would be larger than a softball, because the species has the reputation for huge pitchers. This might require a very large, old plant.

Trent, that greenhouse looks really nice.

Where did you get the plans, and about how much did it cost to build?

I would love to build a greenhouse in the backyard (ideally, the back door would open right into the greenhouse), and find a plan for one that is sturdy, roomy and inexpensive, yet can be incrementally upgraded (i.e. - start with cheap plastic walls, and gradually replacing it with better quality panels).

My father is a structural engineer and he designed our greenhouse to meet code. The cost of the lumber, nails, concrete, bench materials and other permanent parts cost only a few hundred dollars. The shade cloth and plastic covering is replaced as needed and the cost is ongoing. Our side walls are only covered in plastic during the winter, in summer it’s just shade cloth - except for the north wall and the roof, which are covered in plastic year round. We got indirectly hit by two hurricanes. Our greenhouse was exposed to 100mph winds twice in a two week period. No damage. Not even torn plastic or shade cloth. Mind you, trees were being uprooted, the roof came off part of the airport, and our little greenhouse didn’t even feel it.
There’s never enough room. No sooner do we build the greenhouse do we fill it up and now it needs to be expanded. If anyone out there wants to build their own greenhouse, build it WAY larger than you think you’ll need.

trunc. X veitchii is an awesome plant and raff X veitchii as well. Always a sucker for a flared peristome with a couple stripes. The Sarrs outside look very nice too. Seems your backyard is a dangerous place if your under a couple inches tall.
laugh.gif

Joe

Great plants and setup Trent.

I take it from your explanation of the greenhouse coverings, you are in a climate that has warm and humid summers?

I was also wondering how you go about watering all the plants? At around 130 plants I'm guessing my collection is a fraction the size of yours. Hand watering for me every few days is easily a 10-15 minute task. I could not imagine doing it by hand with a collection the size of yours?

Aaron.

Nice growing area there,every thing has great colour
smile.gif

Bye for now julian

Thanks for the compliments!
Yes, Aaron J, we are located in south Florida - can't get more hot and humid unless you're in tropical Asia where Neps are native.
Michelle is the head grower, which means she makes sure everything is watered as needed - every day. Watering all the Sarracenia can take over an hour. We have 100gal per day r/o system and we also collect rain water. There is a sump pump attached to a hose which is used to water everything. Nothing is automated. Michelle mists the Neps at least daily, if not more, and heavily waters as needed. It's a wonderful way to spend the day, and I wish it was me! It's not grueling work, it's fun, and sometimes I'm jealous. But, I look forward to weekends when I can mist the neps and drench the Sarrs. It is hard work, but not negative and bothersome (like my day job). All of the Sarrs are grown on benches in full sun, they are not in trays of water, so they need to be watered daily (in the summer, the rains help a lot). I think the plants get a higher level of individual attention being that they are maintained by hand. It's a labor of love.

Trent:

Congrats on your beautifully-grown plants. In spite of being favored with the conditions and climate that permits me to grow highlanders outdoors, sometimes one pines for the conditions necessary to grow merillianas, amps and bicals to their true potential.

BRgds,

Jay

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ Mar. 27 2005,5:14)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Trent @ Mar. 27 2005,1:45)]Michelle took these pics over the weekend.

Enjoy!

Trent and Michelle
BEAUTIFUL plants, Trent!

What kind of setup do you have for growing them?  Any pics of that?
I get to this summer, when I go back to florida, I also get to visit Dyflam, agristarts, deeroose (hopefully), and of course the wonderfull trent and michelle YAY!!!!

EDIT: I meant to quote nepenthesgracilis on the "just another reason to visit you"

Would you mind editing your post to include with the Nep names whether they are higland, lowland or intermediate?

Thanks Jay. Gotta admit, Michelle and I sit in front of the monitor with mouths agape whenever we see photos of your Neps...

No problem, Tre.
Pretty much all our Neps are lowland. The few highlanders we have are those rare individuals that show great heat tolerance, perhaps they originated a little lower down the mountain than is typical. Probably better to describe our greenhouse temperatures and conditions. During winter, its closed in on all sides, with ventilation openings at the apex on the east side. The humidity rarely drops below 70 percent. On a sunny day, the peak high may get up to about 90 degrees F, but only for a short while. Most of the day is in the mid eighties. At night, the interior is consistently five to eight degrees above the ambient outdoor temp., so that puts it at a typical 56 to 62 degrees F. We use a heater (propane) only when temperatures are forecast to go below 48 F.
Through the course of spring, I slowly remove panels of greenhouse plastic from the sides, starting on the south side, favoring the southeastern corner. By summer, only the northern wall remains in place. The top is covered in Clerk's Cool-lite, which has an IR reflective coating to help reduce temperature. The sides are covered in shadecloth.
Our south Florida summers are lowland paradise...well almost. Still need to mist frequently to keep up the humidity levels. Michelle does this most of the time. Temps: 92-95 F during the day, 76-80 F during the night. During summer, I often mist the Nepenthes just before sundown to allow a slow evening evaporation to reduce leaf temperature. By morning, they are dry.
Whew! Did not intend to be so long winded, but I wanted to cover a lot of bases. If there's any other questions, feel free to ask.

The Truncata x Veitchii and Veitchii look amazing.
smile_k_ani_32.gif
:

Oh yeah so do the other plants.

Back